Will Tiger be better in gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Recently, I read a post which showed Cafemacs claiming an advantage of 50% of increased performance in Doom 3. bedouille.com said this was not true. So did Glenda adams, at Aspyr.

So, apart from this information, will Tiger actually run games faster than panther?

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Tiger is supposed to really speed things up, apprently. So there is some hope.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think tiger will make that much of a difference. Now, if new and improved video drivers are included (which I haven't heard about) you may have some improvement. Macs generally (and pcs too) are fast enough to run any game out there. The bottleneck many times is the video card.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I defeniately hope so! Getting a few extra fps in wow would be nice

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a little pick up in fps in CoD: United Offensive and MoH:Breakthrough. I was dissapointed at the framerates in UO even though I could run the orginal at 800 X 600 well on my iBook. Though they did pick up in the patch, still I'd like to see somewhat of an improvement.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

From what I have heard, or at least think I have heard, Tiger will allow games to grab more CPU cycles by circumventing some of the multitasking that is built into OSX. Windows does not multitask well, especially when gaming which is why you take a much greater performance hit in Windows when playing a game in a window (rather than full screen). I'm not sure how much of a boost you'll see, it all depends on:

1. If what I said is true.
    2. How much the OS allows the game to monopolize the processor
    3. If there needs to be an update to the game to take advantage of this new feature.

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well, i imagine that with corevideo in the base of the system, that it might hold true for later gmes that decide to use it, but if Doom III is already made, then i don't think that particular game will be that much faster in Tiger.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I think that report is more credible than one cranky beta tester who thinks he has the latest seed.