Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCoaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I noticed in another thread, where jimsowden posted information about the Official Apple Store Promo Code list. One of them is a deal on Mac OS X 10.3 and iLife '04:

Add more life to your Mac.
Purchase Mac OS X Panther and iLife '04 together from July 12, 2004, through January 10, 2005, and get $50 back. Or get $80 back when you purchase the Mac OS X Panther Family Pack with the iLife ’04 Family Pack.

January 10, 2005, eh? Isn't the Keynote for the MacWorld Expo San Francisco on January 11?

Speculate. :)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
There's about is good of a chance to see a PowerMac G6 announced as there is to see Mac OS X.4 released. So what does that tell ya?

Mac OS X.4 is still in beta. There's no word at all of a particular recent release being a "Golden Master" release. There are still a ton of features and bugs to work out. Its no where near release material.

Ask this same question around WWDC time in June 2005.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
i'd think they'd wait to release iLife 05 till it can take advantage of Tiger's new features of awesomeness. core image in iPhoto, iMovie. other stuff. would make sense to me. maybe Apple was thinking that the 11th would be the earliest Tiger could possibly be done, back during the WWDC. i dunno. maybe they're going to release Tiger without properly debugging it and follow it by updates 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 soon after.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The only thing that we can really expect on January 11th, is that Steve will let us know about the release date for Tiger. We will probably still see some more updates to Panther yet.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
wdlove said:
The only thing that we can really expect on January 11th, is that Steve will let us know about the release date for Tiger. We will probably still see some more updates to Panther yet.

I highly doubt we'll see a release date at MWSF, wdlove. Apple won't announce that a product will ship six months later because it'll kill Panther's sales.

Look at the facts. Lately, whenever Apple announces a timeframe, they release the product at the end of the timeframe or late. For example, Apple said iTMS would be in Europe sometime in October. It happened at the end of October. Then they said that iTMS would be in Canada in November. It didn't open until December 1.

So, when Apple says Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005, it means we will see it in late June/early July. Most likely WWDC 2005.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Yea... iLife '05 at MWSF and Tiger/DC Powerbooks at WWDC is my guess. There'll probably be iBooks and iMac G5's that get updates at one or the other as well.

metfoo

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2002
I have been using my ADC build of tiger on my powerbook. There are TONS of bugs so far. Steve may announce a target release date, but from what I have experienced, i cant see it happening. There are too many applications with problems on tiger, the os has redraw problems, and much much more.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
metfoo said:
I have been using my ADC build of tiger on my powerbook. There are TONS of bugs so far. Steve may announce a target release date, but from what I have experienced, i cant see it happening. There are too many applications with problems on tiger, the os has redraw problems, and much much more.

I would be happy with just a target date for Tiger. It seems that sales are always hurt around MacWorlds or WWDC, at least among geeks like us that keep up on the latest in rumors. I certainly wouldn't want to buy anything now till after February.

pdp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2004
if you cant take the time to scroll back a page or two to see the other 435436 threads regarding tiger, than im afraid starting your own thread seeking the same information wont get you much further

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
RBMaraman said:
I highly doubt we'll see a release date at MWSF, wdlove. Apple won't announce that a product will ship six months later because it'll kill Panther's sales.

(snip).

I would guess that most of the people who are going to upgrade their Mac OS have done so in the past thirteen months. If Apple were concerned about losing Panther sales they wouldn't have Tiger on their Mac OS X page. Here is hoping for Tiger before June.

-tj

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
At this point the majority that have interest in Panther have already made a purchase. Currently most new Panther users will be with the purchase of a new Mac. So I don't really think that there is much of any pentup desire to Panther now to dampen. The focus of the Mac Community that are in the know is on Tiger. Alas we still have a 5 - 6 month wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.