Will Tiger be worth the ~$100?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hibbity, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hibbity macrumors member

Feb 28, 2005
    It seems like Tiger will change only a few things: You can search for things more easily, use dashboard, and chat with several people in one window instead of several. It doesn't seem worth the money. Am I missing something?

Also, if I decide not to upgrade to Tiger, will Apple continue to release upgrades for Panther? What will be the fate of non-upgraders? I just recently switched to Mac, excuse my ignorance :confused:
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    There are plenty off threads on this topic...

Anyways, There are a lot more features then i guess you are seeing. Besides the fact that Core Image is going to be amazing, and the GUI will be much cleaner and quicker, or the fact that you can search the way God wanted you to....*using spotlight*

The real question is.... Why wouldn't you want to upgrade?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Apple won't release any upgrades to Panther beyond (probably) security patches once Tiger is released.

As a legal Tiger beta user, I can say, without violating confidentiality agreements, that all those "little" things create a vastly better user experience, and I love Panther. Tiger is just better. Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator: these all rock. And they make using the OS appreciably better. Worth the price, in my mind.
  4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    Tiger will NOT be required. Your computer will continue to function great without it. Just slightly less great than those with tiger.

It's definitely your call. I'm still debating it; I'll probably play around with it at the Apple store before I buy it. I'm afraid using spotlight will seal the deal for me.
  5. altair macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Joking right? This is gunna be a bigger jump than 10.0>10.2