Will Tiger Improve Performance on my iBook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, Jan 19, 2005.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

This is the magical quesion. I have a new, G4 1.33Ghz iBook, 768MB of Ram, Radeon 9200 32MB.

No Core Image for me....

The question i have. If i purchase Tiger, Clean install it on my iBook. Will I see a performance gain?

Thanks all

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

i really think so...same for my pb 1.33 w/ 768 ram. plus we will get all those new tools!

the real question is what will it do to my dual usb ibook g3 600!

3. ollie macrumors member

it did for panther didnt it? so i would say yes. but i dont know how 64bit they have gone. i dont know how much that will effect us 32bit people. someone more knowledgable care to comment?

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Performance on your iBook will improve with Tiger, almost no doubt about it. The 64-bitness of Tiger will not affect 32-bit users at all, only G5 users using applications that can take advantage of 64 bit libraries. Have fun with your new machine!
    -Chase

5. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Well, no one can know for sure how Tiger will end up, but every single OSX upgrade has improved the speed of my old iMac SE DV, which runs at only 400 Mhz. My PB came with Panther, but I expect it will get a boost from Tiger - although my iMac (good 'ol Chuck) probably won't be capable of running it. :(

I think a big part of upgrading an OS is streamlining operations, which accounts for the speed boost.

6. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

I'll agree with that, and also add that the system is back to a .0 stage, meaning this update will probably be more tested than a .0.1 update or a security patch. Also everything is clean from a user perspective, meaning the more you use the system, the more it caches data about you to speed itself up, which ironically can cause slowdowns. All that is reset with a .0 update.

Just my 2 cents.

7. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about a Tiger family pack for my iMac G5/1.6G and iBook G3/800.

Though the iBook would not support CoreVideo or any of that stuff, I could really use Spotlight. Of course, would it really be worth getting a 3-pack when I will probably be wanting to get a new iBook in '06 or so anyhow?

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i had jaguar, then panther, each upgrade improved performance, i remember the old days of 10.0 hehe

9. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

I remember the days of 10.0 also (on a 400mhz iMac G3!) and I don't want to talk about it... or even think about it. Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts... :)

10. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I had 10.0 on my 400mhz G3 and I don't remember it being so bad. Just that there wasn't any software that could run without the Classic layer.

I hated OS 9 with a passion. My machine crashed constantly - it was almost like owning a PC.

11. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

So whenever it comes out, it will be worth the purchase to buy it then is what everyone is saying.... Will the retail version of Tiger include iLife 05? or is that something I have to buy as well in addition to... since 04 came with my ibook

12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I don't think OS X comes with iLife. You have to buy it seperately.

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The painful memories. ;) :)

Sure it will be fast, as all Mac OS X.x updates and upgrades have been. :)

14. BoardCertified macrumors newbie

I'm going to have disagree in part about the increase in performance with install of Tiger on iBook G3 600 that was previously referred to in above post. While previous posters are certainly right about streamlining programs causing better system management of resources, I think what you really have to consider is which programs you will be using with Tiger that may require more system resources.

I personally do not know what the resource requirements will be for the newest programs like: Spotlight, Dashboard, and Automator, but I would venture to say their is a possibility that it may suck resources from your iBook. However, I will be the first to stand corrected since many of you have expressed performance increases with each previous update. Such testimony is only reserved for Apple considering that every Windows update significantly slows your system down by guzzling resources.

However, have many of you noticed that these iBooks/Powerbooks just love more RAM? The more you feed them, the greedier these little bastards get - or maybe that's just me? ;)

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I am almost certain, that it will be considerably faster. My 450mhz cube - ran jaguar fast - and panther almost as fast as my powerbook. (finder that is..) I am sure that they will not leave those ibooks behind just yet. It will probably just disable all of the hard core stuff - like panther did for my cube (quartz extreme)

kyle

16. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I agree, and it's one of the things that has made me happiest about my choice to switch to Apple products. The "other" OS builders just don't seem to get this....

Sorry for the thread drift!

17. sigamy macrumors 65816

It seems to me that a lot of the speed improvements in Panther came from the removal of a bunch of eye candy that was in Jaguar.

The OS just doesn't even look the same--Panther is much less "lickable".

The MWSF demo showed that Tiger now has a few additional themes and more UI changes. The question is, will these changes improve or degrade the speed of the UI?

18. kidA macrumors regular

the real question is whether or not to delete everything and do a clean install of the new OS and reinstall all software.

will doing a clean install be better than just upgrading? will it save harddrive space or will it make the system faster if i clean install than if i just upgrade?