Will Tiger Include iLife '05?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GodBless, Mar 16, 2005.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I was just wondering if iLife '05 will be included in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. As I recall recently either AppleInsider or ThinkSecret said that iLife '05 would be included in Tiger.

Do any of you have any clues?

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

No it won't. It will incude '04 but that is it.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why? Tiger is Tiger, it's your OS, and AFAIK that's it. NO iLife of any generation.

:confused:

4. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, it says new systems will be bundled with Tiger and iLife, which is correct. But if you buy Tiger for an exisiting machine AFAIK it will not include any version of iLife.

That's how I read it anyway :)

6. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

I have my Panther box out now and I am reading the following iLife programs that were included in the release:

- iMovie 3
    - iPhoto 2
    - iTunes 4

Garage Band and iDVD are the only two that weren't included obviously because Garage Band hadn't been released prior to Panther's release and because not all Apple computers shipped with a SuperDrive for iDVD to burn DVDs.

This OS release was prior to iLife '04 as well so maybe Apple has a different business plan since they are selling iLife as a software package now.

7. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

My mistake, I misread the article. :eek: Thanks for clearing that one up. Maybe I read the article that way because I really wanted it to be that way.

I still hope iLife '05 is part of Tiger though. :cool:

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

From http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/
    Looks like ther are including old versions of iMovie and iPhoto, plus the current iTunes (which of course is a free DL anyway).

9. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Both iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 were the latest versions of these applications when Mac OS X Panther was released. What makes you think that it will be different for Tiger?

If they did release old iLife software for Tiger then it would be the first time I've ever heard of Apple supporting old software on a new product.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry, you're right. I was looking at current OS X tech spec, not Tiger :eek:

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Using software update (and using panther) i got verison 4 of all of the iApps. (I reinstalled everything and didn't have to put in my iLife disk) My girlfriends iBook did the same thing. I am sure that it will have that in Tiger.

kyle

12. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Well sure...We could have all had version 4 of the iApps by buying iLife '04 but not all of us bought it.

Panther did not update the iApps without the user upgrading to iLife '04. I own Panther and I have all of my software up to date and I am still stuck with iPhoto 2.0.1 and iMovie 3.0.3 since I didn't buy iLife '04 or '05. Are you using a hack with your software update to get the latest version (or is it possible to hack it)? :confused: (If so, I don't endorse it because it is stealing.)

13. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I didn't hack nor do i endorse stealing either... I lost my iLife and when i upgraded and went through the Software Updater It moved everything up to '04... Maybe since i registered, It knew i had already purchased it?

kyle

14. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

That's probably the case. Just like how iTMS knows when you've already purchased a song, even if it's not available on that computer. As for the inclusion of "iApps" with Panther, the versions tossed in were the last freely available versions before the iLife package became a separate retail product. If you do not own iLife 04 or 05, you cannot upgrade the Panther versions for free. I see no reason why Tiger would include anything other than security/stability updates to the original "free" applications, with users free to install iLife 04 or 05 to improve the performance of iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3.

Most users will already own a copy of the iLife suite or will be buying Tiger with a new system. Seeing as though iLife is $79 and Tiger will be $129, there's no logical reason (in terms of cost recuperation, business practicalities, and economic sense) to bundle the two together (without a new system)--because it would effectively reduce the price of Tiger to $50.

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

See that changes my answer (at the top) I thought everyone got that for free. Now i understand that with Tiger you get nothing. Makes sense.

16. ckr4282 macrumors member

According to Anandtech.com , the mac mini currently comes with '04 preinstalled, but includes the '05 DVD. I'd say that Apple would do something like that where Panther is preinstalled and includes a Tiger CD. They'll probably have it preinstalled in new models after a month or two.

17. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Didn't apple run a promotion a while back where you got a certain amount of money off it you bought iLife 04 and Panther together? Surely this means that the iLife apps were NOT included in Panther, otherwise this promo would be useless....

18. Bear macrumors G3

Well iDVD and GarageBand were never included in an OS X package. An as for what came with Panther, iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie were current as of the time Panther was first shipped and were never updated to include the new versions.

I expect Tiger will probably include the latest iTunes and not include any of the other iLife applications since none of the rest are free anymore.

19. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

The answer is YES. Of course, I'm only guessing just like everyone else.