Will Tiger require activation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amaj10, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Amaj10 macrumors newbie

Has anybody heard if Tiger will require activation like many software titles are starting to.

Adam

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Don't scare me like that! No, nor will it have a serial number. Apple (so far) has "trusted" its users to not pirate Mac OS X. Will see how long it lasts!

With the cost of $129, maybe Apple accounts for some piracy in their profits with the larger upgrade price. Who knows.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Does this mean..

You will not be buying but pirating the software!?
    Naughty! :mad:
    That said, I will be installing it on my two Macs - but I do own them both, so why shouldn't I? It's not like I'm a personal family!

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Why would it scare you?

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

The "Family pack" is more of a "Household pack" what you're doing is still illegal if you don't buy two copies. (or the cheaper family pack)

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mrumph..

Problem being I have already ordered a standard license. I almost hate owning 2 Macs! I don't need 5 licences, i only need 2! :mad:
    Is is so uncommon for people to have a laptop and desktop combo?
    Still by buying it i'm still being more legal than i am now! :eek:

7. Bear macrumors G3

Cancel the single order and order a family pack instead. You may not need all 5 licenses, but it still costs less to buy a family pack than it does to buy 2 individual licenses.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I don't believe anyone *wants* activation in a product. That's just another step consumers have to deal with in order to use something.

I'm not keen on the idea of having to call Apple or re-activate when I change hardware or decide to move my O/S to a different machine.

I've have to deal with activiation issues with Quark and Windows all the time. It's is an unnecessary hassle, that only hurts honest customers.

If your a pirate, your capable of going around the activation scheme. So what's the point?

9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

it can be gotten around yes but remeber this it takes a lot of know how to do it and access to places that most people who piirated dont have/ dont know about it. It puts a huge dent in how much is stoolen.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Why would you assume that? Just because I'm against product activation? I already preordered Tiger from Apple, and I'm eagerly awaiting April 29.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah it's very difficult. Take a look at Limewire, it has every crack/hack/serial generator for any program you can ask for. Just do a search for Adobe and see what you get. The point is, it's a great concept, but it doesn't stop piracy... it just inconveniences legit customers who deal with enough already.

12. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I'm also a subscriber to .Mac, have 2 Macs, have 4 iPods (!!! - i know :eek: ) Have had to replace my PB power supply twice (at ~£100 times each), bought iLife '04, had to replace my PB itself 'cos the first one i got was faulty, one of my iPods (the original 5GB one) has a corrupt HD, and the iMac I got 2 years ago CAME with a dead pixel on the 17" display!
    I don't think I owe Apple anything by only buying a single license!
    I'd hate to add up how much i've given the company, not to mention .Mac, which seems to me jolly expensive for what you get!
    I think a +1 license if you buy Tiger for .Mac users would be appropriate.
    (I also thought a reduction in iLife '05 would have been in order, as lots of the iLife apps use .Mac in an integral form.)

Perhaps it was the was you said "don't scare me". Just the choice of words, no offence, you may be able to detect a hint of sarcasm in my post! ;)

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Show us a way to get round activation. Of course you're going to see Adobe's stuff on P2P, they haven't rolled out activation on a grand scale until CS2. Just because you might see an app up there, doesn't mean it's going to work when it's trial period is up.

I think many people misunderstand how activation works, it has little to do with serials.

14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Download the corp ISO. ;)

Seriously, though, there are ways to defeat any type of activation out there. There is something, somewhere, that convinces your software that it's legitimate -- be it a file (which can be spoofed) or a registry key (which can be spoofed) or whatever other mechanism is in place.

DRM, product activation, and serial keys do little more than irritate legitimate users. The pirates always have (and always will) find a way around things.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

From your lips to God's ears on that one!

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I will open a can of worms here. Licensing agreements aside, publishers need to start to realize the real world. And I think that Apple has done so so far.

Sh*t happens, more than once for a single user. Believe me on this one. I have done IT support. Activation does a number on these individuals.

Add to that the positive marketing aspects for Apple. For if a user has 2 or 3 Mac's, could not Apple be better served by "word of mouth" marketing by "ignoring" any violations of the license agreement. For some will buy the latest hardware to get the latest OS. Some will share the OS with others that have older hardware and then desire the latest hardware. Apple so far has not been stupid.

The problem is that some try to apply the M$ model to Apple. For M$ as a software company, their only revenue stream is from the sale of their OS and software. Apple in the end is the winner in the computer wars, even though they do not win on pure numbers.

For a system purchase leads to additional (perhaps) OS purchases down the road. Or it could lead to an iPod purchase, or an iSight purchase as the consumer realizes the ease of use. Or from a an OS purchase, that once a consumer realizes that their older Mac does not support Core Images, they buy the next best machine.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There are those of us that avoid any "restrictive" registration system on principle. It has to do more with Windows than OS X than anything else. Few of us have had to do multiple re-installs on the Mac, but I have been through 4 re-installs on my other half's computer in the last 1 1/2 years thanks to the lack of security and his ignorance of Windows and the net.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is what I was referring to in my other post. In this case the license should allow IMO the right to install on both as you described, since under most normal usage they would not be used at the same time.

M$ did have a system that they allowed for this for their software. I don't think they allowed for their OS. Since IMo it is their OS that derives their profits. Remember they have no computer hardware to get profits from, unlike Apple.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

there are plenty of cracks around for those that do want to pirate.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually I know of some Mac Heads that have gotten around the M$ Office activation.

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

MS Office on the Mac as a multi-licence corporate deal doesn't need activation. One CD, a bit of paper with the no. of licences and one serial... in the UK, anyway.

Came as a surprise to me.

22. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

23. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Although...

Despite the M$ bashing, the last thinhg I bought was Office 2004 Student Teacher Edition, and if comes as standard with 3 product keys, which is generous! Weird thing was, I dragged the App from one machine to another, both connected to the net, with the same activation key, and it worked fine (else i would have used a different one), I thought that was odd! What happens in a couple of months when I graduate though? Will i have to give them a few hundred quid?! - I don't think so!!

Perhaps, in this crazy modern age of consumers (no business users - i realise that situation is totally different) who may own two computers, to have USER leicenees, not SYSTEM ones?

24. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I'm still considering wether to buy the single or the family - for my pb, my iBook and my brothers... pretty much everyone around me has made fun or at least raised eyebrows when I've said I wanted to buy Tiger. Whatever I do it will be a big step up for me :eek: :D

Here's an anti-mac argument I got some weeks ago:"it's hard to get pirated software"!

In these discussions there often seem to be a split between older people who've earned real money for years and younger people who are mostly students.
    People like my parents don't even think about the option to get pirated software and not because they are considering the morals of, they just wouldn't think of it .
    I wonder how it'll be in future when everyone's grown up with free, pirated software being close to the norm.

A

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

or instead of buying a family pack for 2 computers, if you can get two copies of education Tiger, would be just a bit more expensive than buying one single copy :p

because i don't believe there is a education family pack