Will Tiger Ship with Refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jcook793, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jcook793 macrumors regular

When Jaguar and Panther came out, did they ship with the refurbs immediately? Or was there some lag time before it trickled down to the refurb machines?

The reason I'm asking is that I plan on selling my iBook and buying another laptop (iBook or PB, not sure yet) as soon as Tiger is official. The idea is that I can take the $130 it would cost to get Tiger, bundle it with what my iBook brings and hopefully come out with a pretty cheap speed upgrade.

I know this is waaay ahead of schedule, but I was just wondering about the refurbs...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Usually you are out 19.95 for the latest OS under Apple's Up-to-Date program for any machine that sells without the lastest kitty kat.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Yeah, as Sun Baked said I'd imagine that any Mac purchased after whatever the cut off date Apple announces next year is, including refurbs, will qualify for the 19.99 Mac OS X Up to Date Program. If you order immediately after Tiger is released, I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be installed on your refurb. If they are nice, however, Apple might through a copy of the update in the box with your refurb.

5. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It probably won't come installed right away, but you should receive an install disk with your refurb. If not, through Up to Date, you can get a disk for $19.99 - "Shipping and Handling charges."

6. jcook793 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, that works for me. Thanks everybody. Now the hard part: waiting. :)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Truer words never spoke. It is very evident on the forums. When it comes to Tiger it will be any time in the first half of 2005. The $19.99 shipping and handling charge is a great deal.

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

If only there was a date we could be counting down to. "First half of 2005" is so vague. It is nice not to have to pay for an upgrade this year, though.