Will tiger support G3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ijimk, Oct 25, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Ok here is what i am trying to do. I want to get my sister a b/w G3 tower for x-mas and I know toger is due out soon and i was going to buy the family pack to save some money but i was not sure if the G3 tower will support tiger. I am positive the G3 b/w tower supports panther but could not find any info for the G3 supporting tiger. any help is appreciated. :confused:

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Yes

Tiger will support G3's. Just make sure u MAX out the ram on your G3 b/c chances are performance will be abysmal. :eek:

3. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I have 768 mb i can through into it now so it should help quite a bit, plus i have a 80 gb 7200 rpm HD to put into it as well. She mainly just surf and chats online so this machine with these and a 300mhz processor should do for that right? I know it wont be a super machine but i just really want her off windows and she is willing to switch to Mac sooo what do you think?

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i once had panther installed on a 350MHz G3 imac. that computer was capable of viewing dvd movies and doing some heavy photoshop work. it had 512MB ram and after i put in a new 80GB 7200rpm hard drive i was very satisfied with its performance. sure it isn't performing like a dual-2.5GHz G5 but it was more than ok.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If she's a lightweigth user why install Tiger?
    Stick with panther, we atleast know that panther runs good on g3s with some ram.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i ran tiger on a B&W g3 and it was ok, bit slow but bearable, this was with 192MB ram a 12GB HD and a 500MHz overclocked g3.

7. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I don't know why there are comments about it being abysmal. It is actually quite a bit faster than Panther believe it or not. Should run nicely on a G3 500 and fairly well on a G3 350.