Will Time Machine make Super Duper redundant?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caezar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2004
    Between a rock and a hard place
    I am thinking of buying Super Duper. I now use the basic features of the application and I had rather do incremental backups (which requires the purchase of a license), instead of full copies.

But since Time machine will essentially provide the same functionality, I could wait until Leopard is released and save 30 dollars or so. Is there still a good reason to buy Super Duper now?
  2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    From what I've read, they both do the same thing.

I would hold off for leopard, although it could be three months away!! :mad:

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Retrospect can do incremental backups and it is free if you buy a disk drive (from the right place) You will need a large disk for Time Machine. You might buy the disk now and use Retrospect until June when Leopard comes out. I'm using Retrospaect now to make incrmental backups to my file server using FTP protocol.
  4. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    Retrospect has a confusing interface to back up and good luck recovering just one file you accidentally erased. You also need Retrospect to be up and running if you need to recover anything, which is not the case most of the time if you have your drive fail on you. Its interface is designed for a sys admin, not a regular user. I have seen a few posts from people who had a hard time recovering their files after a drive failure.