Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
"Will updating Airport Software Stop my Os 9 Computers from working?"

Yeah, its a long question, but it needs an answer.

The computers that connect to Airport are *all* Os 9 computers so then will they stop working (or will I have problems) if I update the current software that will only run on Mac Os X.

[Side note:
How is my iMac with no airport card able to connect to the Airport Station? :confused:]

Thanks

--MrMacMan

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Will updating Airport Software Stop my Os 9 Computers from working?

Originally posted by MrMacman
"Will updating Airport Software Stop my Os 9 Computers from working?"

Yeah, its a long question, but it needs an answer.

The computers that connect to Airport are *all* Os 9 computers so then will they stop working (or will I have problems) if I update the current software that will only run on Mac Os X.
Airport is fully supported under MacOS X. If you are running MacOS 9, the Software Update will upgrade your software for the latest version of that all software compatible with your OS. That includes Airport.

[Side note:
How is my iMac with no airport card able to connect to the Airport Station? :confused:]

Thanks

--MrMacMan
You will have to install an Airport card in your iMac. These are standard Lucent PCMCIA Wi-Fi cards.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Re: Re: Will updating Airport Software Stop my Os 9 Computers from working?

Originally posted by MisterMe

You will have to install an Airport card in your iMac. These are standard Lucent PCMCIA Wi-Fi cards.

No they are not. You must buy an Apple Airport card with an airport card holder, found at the apple store.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Will updating Airport Software Stop my Os 9 Computers from working?

Originally posted by MisterMe

Huh?

:confused:

No, no no no no.

How is my iMac *able* to access The Airport Basestation to begin with when it *does not* have an Airport (or wireless) card?

Airport is fully supported under MacOS X. If you are running MacOS 9, the Software Update will upgrade your software for the latest version of that all software compatible with your OS. That includes Airport.

Yes, I know this, but because the upgrade is only showing up on Mac Os X not Mac Os 9 That is where my question comes in.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Re: Re: Will updating Airport Software Stop my Os 9 Computers from working?

Huh?

No, no no no no.

How is my iMac *able* to access The Airport Basestation to begin with when it *does not* have an Airport (or wireless) card?

Your Mac and every other computer needs a wireless card to access Wi-Fi networks. Can you please explain why you seem to believe otherwise?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003

Huh?

No, no no no no.

It has to have some sort of wireless card to access a wireless network. Have you dismantled it to check?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
No, I haven't dismantled it.

I get the conclusion that is must have some (don't know how) wireless device that is able to connect to change the settings for the basestation...

How can I find out (using software) if an airport card is installed?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
No, I haven't dismantled it.

I get the conclusion that is must have some (don't know how) wireless device that is able to connect to change the settings for the basestation...

How can I find out (using software) if an airport card is installed?

Use Apple System Profiler (Yes there is an OS9 Version) it should be in your Applications (OS9)/Utilities Folder. iMacs do support Airport, and I've heard of several systems being shipped new with Airport Cards, to people who ordered Aiport Card-less system. I'd just thank your luck stars that you don't have to install one.... Pain in the rear.

Also, updating software for the Airport from OSX only messes with software on the Airport. Any Wi-Fi computer will still be able to use it. As for the updates only being in OSX, I believe that is because the only updates now are for APX base stations, therefore not required for OS9 (Because OS9 doesn't have APX ability.

If you want to make sure there are no more updates for graphite/snow Base stations, then go to Apple Support at http://www.apple.com/support/

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

Huh?

No, no no no no.

If you're using the base station as a router for your network and you have the iMac plugged in to the Ethernet port on the base then it will be able to administer the base station using the Airport Admin Utility. Any computer with a TCP/IP connection to the base will be able to administer it with the proper password.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by ibookin'
If you're using the base station as a router for your network and you have the iMac plugged in to the Ethernet port on the base then it will be able to administer the base station using the Airport Admin Utility. Any computer with a TCP/IP connection to the base will be able to administer it with the proper password.

Well they are on the same network... but it works like this...

Cable Modem -->
Router (2 separate cables) -->
iMac (Mac Os X) _________ & Airport (used for only Mac Os 9 Computers)

Originally posted by TEG
Use Apple System Profiler (Yes there is an OS9 Version) it should be in your Applications (OS9)/Utilities Folder.

Its... not there... :(

I see only disk burner...print utility, disk first aid, disk copy...

No Profiler

iMacs do support Airport, and I've heard of several systems being shipped new with Airport Cards, to people who ordered Aiport Card-less system. I'd just thank your luck stars that you don't have to install one.... Pain in the rear.

Maybe, but I can't check... :eek:

Also, updating software for the Airport from OSX only messes with software on the Airport. Any Wi-Fi computer will still be able to use it. As for the updates only being in OSX, I believe that is because the only updates now are for APX base stations, therefore not required for OS9 (Because OS9 doesn't have APX ability.

Well I have the 'white' one... no extreme (well duh, no support for Mac Os 9)...

But Messes with the software?

If you want to make sure there are no more updates for graphite/snow Base stations, then go to Apple Support at http://www.apple.com/support/

Okay I will check.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Look in the Apple Menu Items folder for Apple System Profiler...if you don't find it there, then do a Sherlock search, if you haven't already.

I don't know anything about airport, sorry, I just thought maybe I could direct you to Apple System Profiler if you are having trouble finding it in OS 9.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by FredAkbar
Look in the Apple Menu Items folder for Apple System Profiler...if you don't find it there, then do a Sherlock search, if you haven't already.

I don't know anything about airport, sorry, I just thought maybe I could direct you to Apple System Profiler if you are having trouble finding it in OS 9.
Yup tried...

:(

too bad since the Mac Os X one SUCKS and fails to load any information...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.