Will Verizon give me a different phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ITASOR, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Hey everyone,

I have a Motorola v265 on Verizon Wireless service. I'm on my 3rd one. Before this, I had a Samsung a650, but it didn't stop charging, overheated, and melted it's screen.

So, I tried to get a good one this time so I wouldn't have the "fight with Verizon for a new phone for a month" experience.

Yeah....right...

Anyway, this v265 has a major problem. Everytime, the speaker phone/ring speaker just dies after a month or so. Yeah, I get a new phone when it happens under warranty but it just happened again tonight at the store when I was expecting an important phone call. Guess what?! It didn't ring because the speaker was dead. I didn't know until I got home, saw the missed call, and tried to call them back with my dad. I put speaker phone on so we could both talk and that's what I noticed there was no sound coming from that speaker...it happens like this everytime.

But yeah, I get a new phone, but I need my phone for emergencies, etc. and I need it to ring the majority of times when I get a call, and I need the ability to use speaker phone. I figure after 3 and with the 3rd one dead now that I can pretty much guarantee any replacement is going to die too.

I called Verizon, and they want to replace the darn thing again. I don't really want it replaced, I want a different phone, but they say the only thing they can do it replace it. I explained the situation to 2 people and they both assured me that they can replace it.

What should I do? It's obviously defective...every review I read says that the speaker starts to die after normal usage, so obviously I'm not the only one that has this problem.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't really know what to do and I know from experience that Verizon doesn't give in to special treatment easily at all like Apple does.

:(

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have heard horror stories about that phone, I think a Verizon rep even told me it has the most defect returns out of all of their phones.

Unfortunately, I can't help you much, I have never tried to replace a phone. I do know that you can buy a new phone at full price to replace it but they are expensive without the contract discounts.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, I can thank the nice lady at Radio Shack who told me it was the best phone they currently had in stock. Heh.

I actually bought THIS phone at full price (it was around $250) after arguing to get my samsung replaced (which was still under warranty). Supposedly, melting isn't covered under the warranty. I was told this at a real verizon store too, not a mall booth or anything.

That's what makes me really mad. I forked out 250 for this phone when I could have gotten another Samsung for $120 because I didn't want to deal with this again and just needed a phone.

I'm going to have to go to a store this weekend. Only problem is, it's like 1 hour away. :(

Oh man...if Cingular had any decent coverage around here I'd so switch to them.
    :eek:

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Just so you know, Consumer reports says that Verizon has the best customer support satisfaction, not by much but still. So I wouldn't count on a new carrier making things better (unless you are changing to get better phones, in that case, yes, it would help *is jealous of friends with Cingular*).

5. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I like how Cingular doesn't cripple their phones so you have to pay them to get ringtones and use it to it's fullest.

Anyway....I'll try to get to the VZ store tomorrow and ask them when I can do and pretend to cry because I'm devastated.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I doubt you'll have to pretend to much:( . What if you canceled your plan and then got a new one with a different phone. They will charge you a cancelation fee but if it is less than buying a phone it might be worth it.

On a side note I really like my e815 but it will cost even with a two year agreement.

7. iDONTdoWINDOWS macrumors member

I used to work for Verizon as a customer service rep. We had so many problems with that phone. Usually if a phone breaks 3x while still under warranty they will replace you phone with one that is comparable. Just to warn you you will probably just get another POS phone Verizons coverage is great their phones are crap.

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The V710 and E815 are the "better" versions of that phone, so you can ask if they have those and trade it.

I have the V710, and its great.

9. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I was looking at the V710, doesn't really appeal to me.

I don't really care about cost as this point to tell you the truth. If it's under $400 or so and it's going to last me until it's a dinosaur, then I don't care.

However I'll see what verizon has to say about mine. heh.