Will Verizon iphone 4s work with Straight Talk?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrokeLoser, Dec 7, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all...newb here.
    I've read through many threads here and haven't found specifics so here goes:

I have an iphone 4s Verizon warranty replacement from Assurion. (Verizon's insurance company) It's a refurbished model and I have not activated with Verizon yet. I ran the meid# through the Straight Talk website and apparently it can be activated with ST so I have ordered the At&t compatible micro sim for it...does this sound right so far?

My other questions:
    Is this warranty replacement 4s unlocked?
    After activating with ST can I expect mms and visual voice mail to work normal?
    Is it possible to get LTE on the 4s with ST? (I think I read that somewhere)

Thanks for any help!

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

No.
    All Verizon 4S iphones are locked and if you request an unlock from Verizon they can only unlock it for international GSM use.
    It will not work with any domestic US GSM carrier.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response. Below is the page I get from ST's website after referencing my MEID with their BYOP program. Why would ST's system verify my MEID as a compatible device for their network if they would not activate it? Why even have a compatibility verification process? I would think that would mean it could be activated on their network?
    [​IMG]

4. macrumors newbie

not correct. a verizon 4s provided it is free of verizon contract period can be used on either straight talk or net 10 on their cdma plans.

5. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Read my post again.
    I said "It will not work with any domestic US GSM carrier."
    Not 100% sure what tech the particular straight talk account the OP is planning on opening up.
    If he tries to use a GSM straight talk account then it will not work. But also heard straight talk accounts that use verizons cdma network so if its that then its a good possibility.
    I'd verify ahead of time by talking to them and to make sure he gets the correct startup kit.