Will VOIP/CHAT apps (eg Skype/Viber/Whatsapp) work without network data connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MitzEclipse, Dec 15, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2012
    Hi, I'm wondering if Skype, Viber, Whatsapp etc will work if there is no contract with a mobile service provider (eg if I'm on Vodafone or 02 and I cancel the contract or put the contract on hold) and use Wifi to connect to the internet for these apps on my iphone. In theory it should work because whatsapp etc work on airplane mode but I wanted to double check... i'm travelling for a month and thinking of putting a vacation hold on my mobile contracts. Please let me know thanks!
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2012
    I don't know for Viber and Whatsapp but the answer is yes for Skype .
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, if you change the SIM card, it asks you to re-activate but if you just leave it on airplane mode and use Wi-Fi, it should just work fine.
  4. macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2010
    This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.
    Viber can work without a sim card, you just need an active phone number for the registration process (you can use your home number for that). If you already have Viber, taking your sim card out won't deactivate it, Viber will continue functioning properly. :)

We're here to offer our help! Please feel free to let us know your thoughts, questions and comments, we'd be happy to assist.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Don't see why they won't. Aslong as there is wifi connection all should work perfectly fine.
  6. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Those kind of apps work through the Internet, and as long as you are able to get to the Internet, method/carrier unimportant, then YES.
  7. macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2010
    They all work. My mrs uses then with data turned off and wifi only