Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twitko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
I'd like to buy a media player (probably WD TV Live), but after reading a lot of posts, comment, forums, reviews etc.. I am absolutely confused, if it will work for my setup. Please advice ... OK, my current setup :

Internet -> DSL modem connected via ethernet cable to Time Capsule (2T). TC creates wifi network. I have several computers wirelessly joined to this network via wifi - 3x PC (WIN XP) and 1x MacBookAir. I have another AirportExpress unit, which serves a) to improve wifi signal in my living room b) and it is connected via sound output to my Receiver (to play Iphone and Itunes music via main speakers). TC's internal hard disc serves as main storage space for - music, ebooks, movies, photos, backups etc ... For now, it works fine .. any computer is able to acces, see and read any file stored at TC. Great ...

Now ... I'd like to view my movies - video files (AVI, MKV, etc) directly on my TV. Again - all my video files are stored on Time Capsule. I suppose I need media player. WD TV Live HD Media Player (WDBGXT0000NBK) could be a solution. I can connect it via ethernet cable to Airport Express to wifi or rely on its own wifi abilities. But I am not sure if WDTV is able to access and read files stored on my Time Capsule.

Again - accessing files on TC is the most important feature for me. I don't expect to access and play the movies stored somewhere on local discs of any of my computers .. if it could be possible, it'd be welcome, but this feature is not necessary. And ... I don't want to connect any HDD to WDTV ... just access file on my TC and play it via wifi on my TV is all I need.

Can anybody confirm WD T Live Media Streamer should work in this setup?

Thank you in advance for any help.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I think the WD TV Live will work great for your need. I have the older version of the WD TV Live (no Netflix or WiFi). I don't have a Time Capsule, but I do have an Airport Extreme with an attached hard drive. My WD TV Live has no problem accessing media files stored on the drive attached to the Apple router, so I'm sure the same would be true for a volume on the Time Capsule. I have also read reviews of the new WD TV Live from folks who are using it very successfully with a Time Capsule. My WD TV Live also has no problem accessing shared directories on my PC and Mac.

The user interface on the WD TV is not as pretty as an Apple TV, but it does a great job playing just about any media type. I use it for playing raw 1080P rips from my Blu-Rays. The quality is the same as watching directly from a Blu-ray player.

Hopefully, you will have a backup of the media stored on the Time Capsule on one of your computers.

nsr025

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Hi Guys,

I stumbled upon ur post. I am planning to have the exact same setup as u.

Care to update on your outcome, twitko?

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
I bought my WD TV Live about two weeks ago. My first unit had a problem with drive not being accessible after a while even during playback. I called Western Digital, they confirmed I had the latest firmware, and suggested I return it. That was after 4 days. The new unit is perfect.

What Mac users have to look out for:

If you are going to hang a drive off of it and format it HFS+, you have to go back and make sure you mount the disk in Disk Utility and turn of journaling.

The WD forums offer lots of support, but I still can't network to my Macs, but many people can.

ejmcburney

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Hi, I have the exact same set-up (media on TC and wirelessly connecting from WDTV Live to TC), however, when I try to access the TC files I get the error message "The is no media in the current folder". I have tried Music, Video and Photos but just keep on getting the same result.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??

Thanks,

Nikolagat

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Hi, I have the exact same set-up (media on TC and wirelessly connecting from WDTV Live to TC), however, when I try to access the TC files I get the error message "The is no media in the current folder". I have tried Music, Video and Photos but just keep on getting the same result.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong??

Thanks,

allow file sharing via airport disk utility
And it will work

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
Time Capsule sharing with WDTV Live?

After upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard, sharing folders on my Mac no longer works with my WDTV live (ethernet connected). I was told that Apple removed a sharing protocol (SMB?) from Lion (and same with 10.8). I'm now wondering if the Time Capsule will work with the WDTV Live, or of the required sharing protocol has been removed from that as well.

Also, I understand that the USB port on the Time Capsule can be used for additional storage. However, I'm wondering if the USB port could also be used to connect the Time Capsule directly to the WDTV (or mount it's HD on a Mac)? After my Macs lost SMB sharing with Lion, I've had to have an external drive connected to my WDTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.