Will WoW support dual processors?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Jul 19, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Just wondering if World of Warcraft will support dual processors? It would help make load times shorter and run smooother. I think blizzard will but i could be wrong. Does anyone know if any of blizzards previous titles support dual processors? Any help is appreciated.

2. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

I don't think it's going to help much with load times. Hard drive speed is probably the bottleneck there.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Its not in the Beta Phase 3 software but the final product will have dual processor support...

4. w00tmaster macrumors regular

On a related note

kind of off-topic, but have any developers here ever played around with this:
    http://developer.apple.com/document...tosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMac_G4_03Aug00/PMG4.57.html

The multiproccessing service kit provided by Apple? I am getting a g5, my first dual system soon, and while I know a little bit about how the systems work from Operating Systems class, I never have actually used them.
    I think in the BSD model of things, each process has it's own space, and thus if you run 2 concurrent processes that are working on the same problem, it is best to minimize communication as much as possible...
    So it will be interesting to see what WoW can actually do with 2 cpus.
    If you really want to improve load times, I suggest you invest in a Western Digital Raptor 10kRPM SATA drive. From what i have read, those things fly.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Load times? WoW basically doesn't have load times...

6. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

7. ddtlm macrumors 65816

zakee00:

I believe that it loads continuously in the background. A second supported CPU would probably help that happen seamlessly.

8. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

There is an initial load when you start the game. However, there are no "zones" or "levels" that the world is broken up into. Instead, the entire world is seamless, loading new areas on the fly. Its quite a nice experience.

And IIRC, Blizzard has already stated that WoW will not take advantage of dual processors. However, having 1GB of RAM helps a lot in smoothing out the game experience. Of course, a fast processor (1.5ghz+) and a good video card along the lines of a Radeon 9600Pro will help a great deal, too. Blizzard has already said not to expect good performance with a Geforce 5200Ultra or lesser card.

9. shortyjj macrumors regular

Which card is that? Not the 64meg 5200 that comes with the 12" PB...

10. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yes, that card, as well as the one in the current iMac's and the default card in Powermacs.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Dual processor support for WOW

I think I am confused. From what I understand, the operating system controls which threads run on which processor. So all they've really got to do is break the cpu intensive code into two threads, and they would support dual processors. But I could be wrong, perhaps they force multiple threads onto the same cpu to keep them in sync.

But this would agree with their adverstising: "Works best on Pentium4 HT"

If it works best on an HT p4, (which in essence is a dual p4 because it takes commands at the beginning and end of each clock cycle -thereby fooling the OS into thinking it has two processors) then perhaps they haven't locked the threads to the same cpu, causing it to run faster on computers that can process two threads simultaneously.

Yeah, but it's probably just a marketing thing.

12. w00tmaster macrumors regular

I'm not an expert in this, but this is how I understand it:
    Hyperthreading is a different technology all together than dual processors. It's a bit complicated, but in dual processor systems each processor has it's own list of processes that it has to run. Each process has it's own memory space, and within each process there are a bunch of threads that use the process's memory space.
    Hyperthreading works a bit differently. Usually there is only 1 cpu(but there can be more). The cpu has complete control of the memory. Inside the CPU, there are redundant units(ie multiple integer units, multiple floating point units) and provided that the threads do not need access to the same resources(there are mechanisms to deal with this). Now a few of the threads in the application run on the processor at once using the same process space.
    Only certain applications can take advantage of dual processors. You have to have relatively independent tasks that you need to do because inter-process communication is rather expensive. Same with clustered computers, certain applications scale very well, others not very well at all.

13. ddtlm macrumors 65816

w00tmaster:

Hyperthreading supports the same normal threads that are used everyday to gain advantage from multiple processors. The threads may or may not share a memory space. The thing about hyperthreading that seems to get people confused is that since the CPU's resources are shared between the threads, it won't behave performance-wise as well as two separate CPUs. People seem to equate that performance "issue" with hyperthreading itself, or the nature of the threads hyperthreading allows, however its really just a question of execution resources.

Converted2Truth:

That's exactly correct. Only Blizzard knows why they did or did not choose to work multiple threads into the game.

You can be 90% confident that is marketing. I'm not familiar with the ads you speak of, but in general Intel would pay for their latest and greatest product to be advertised as "the best", and it just so happens to be the case that their latest and greatest are all P4's with hyperthreading.