Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
genuinely curious, if it will be of concern or if you see Touch ID in Touchbar models to be icing on the cake finally having it as an option in macOS/ but not something you care to stay in the rat race with

Surely at some point, now having two iPhones gens of touchID2, 6s/6s+ and 7/7+ (sensor, not haptic feedback), that with 7s/8... eventually,

there will be a Touch ID gen 3 addressing more accuracy, speed, etc. maybe even some crazy functionality. And it will run you a base price of $650 vs $1800/2400 and up. And touchID2 may even finally trickle down to "bargain parts" that make their way into iPads and other peripheral to the base iPhone money bloodline, iOS products, one could say... since iPads are still gen1 only,

Tech is always moving fast, but iOS devices seem like more "throw away-ables," or consumables, than laptops where most people (had every iPhone except 5s, and even then tried the 5s briefly but only laptops every few years by comparison) are in it for the long haul, never mind the pace Intel architecture is or is not (not) moving at with innovations, vs. truly impressive A-series R&D and results! (Imo)

so, will It matter? or I guess bookmark this thread for when we do see changes in touchID gen 3 and can actually speak accurately to whether or not one is missing out

thanks!

feeling philosophical today :D

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Do we even know what generation the new MBPs use? The sensor is pretty darn fast - easily as fast as what's in my iPhone 6s, maybe faster.
Might be on the Apple website, but I don't remember seeing it.

Either way, a fingerprint sensor is a fingerprint sensor. Any new functionality out of the next-gen sensor would be a new feature anyway, so not really worried about new features coming that aren't in the new machine. Computers are out of date the day you buy them. No getting around that.

Reactions: thadoggfather

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I have used a 13" cMBP since, well, 2012, and just recently upgraded to the 2016 15" TouchBar. Between these generations, they have had major upgrades in SSD, trackpad, screen quality, and more. These were significant improvements above and beyond TouchID, especially given how well even TouchID 1 works. Did I want the new laptops each year? Yeah, that's why I'm on this site. Did I feel like I was missing out? No.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Do we even know what generation the new MBPs use? The sensor is pretty darn fast - easily as fast as what's in my iPhone 6s, maybe faster.
Might be on the Apple website, but I don't remember seeing it.

Either way, a fingerprint sensor is a fingerprint sensor. Any new functionality out of the next-gen sensor would be a new feature anyway, so not really worried about new features coming that aren't in the new machine. Computers are out of date the day you buy them. No getting around that.

fairly certain its gen2,

Good point about that. Between delays in intel architecture, x86 stagnancy vs ARM skyrocketing (though x86 of course has its merits lol), and just generally becoming a more niche product and lots of people getting basic things done with their phone and nothing more, you do have to accept obsolescence in the same form of, as soon as you drive it off the lot, you took a hit.

But I guess I just wonder if you/people will be miffed since this is incorporating a tech that has skyrocketed from gen 1 to 2 and probably will continue to since its iOS land of rapid development (not that I can't deal with gen1 on SE, but night and day compared to 7+)
[doublepost=1481309670][/doublepost]
I have used a 13" cMBP since, well, 2012, and just recently upgraded to the 2016 15" TouchBar. Between these generations, they have had major upgrades in SSD, trackpad, screen quality, and more. These were significant improvements above and beyond TouchID, especially given how well even TouchID 1 works. Did I want the new laptops each year? Yeah, that's why I'm on this site. Did I feel like I was missing out? No.

figured, and thats a great way of thinking about it too. you just entered a time warp from cMBP to rMBP redesign

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Well the current one on the MBP is pretty damn fast already, so not really...

Maybe if the newer gens work better with wet fingers that would be nice, but it's not too big of a deal.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I won't be.... Then again I like the sensor on my SE better than the iPhone 7.. The one on the 7 is to darn fast if you just want to press and get to the lock screen...

The sensor on the MacBook is fine..

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I don't know how much faster and accurate it could possibly get. TouchID 2 is as close to instant as you can get on the iphone 7

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I won't be miffed. I'm enjoying the TouchId I have now as opposed to waiting some indefinite period of time for something better which will always happen with technology.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
That was very hard to read...maybe just because I was reading faster then I should have. Anyway, I won't be upset at all. A finger print reader is a finger print reader. It works great on my iPad Pro and on my iPhone 6S. Yes...my iPhone has a way faster read, but its half a second at most and its not a big deal. Haha.

I personally haven't tried the finger print sensor on the new mac, mainly because I don't want to buy one. Haha. Anyway, I personally think the finger print reader, as great as it is, is only a minor feature. It is amazing so maybe "minor" is not the best term for it. However, I think it works great no matter what gen you are using.

If Apple were to add something to the finger print reader to give it something other then just reading my finger print, then I will be more interested, but no matter what gen you are using, it works great in my opinion. Like I said earlier, speed is upgraded and so has the ability to read my finger print. I don't have to wipe my fingers as much on my iPhone like I do with my iPad, but I'm not aa huge complainer. Haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.