Will you be using the iPhone SDK ?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MacDonaldsd, Mar 6, 2008.

?

Will you be using the iPhone SDK ?

1. I have some applications planned already

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Im looking forward to using it, but have nothing planned

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. I will have a look at it

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Il stick to programming for bigger screens thanks

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Hello fellow coders,

With the arrival of the iPhone SDK looking like a strong possibility in the next few hours, I am wondering if anyone here is going to use it, or indeed already have some ideas planned ?

2. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It'll be interesting to see how much of the SDK is identical to what's already available from jailbroken iPods.

I hope they provide a way to access the iPhone's hard drive from the desktop and the iPhone, or else apps that require data to be synced to and from the desktop won't exist.

3. macrumors 68040

iSee

I'm guessing they'll extend the Sync Service API for syncing data between the iphone/touch and the desktop. I'd be surprised if they weren't using some version of that for their own apps now.

But yeah, directly or indirectly, we'll need access to the iPhone's "hard drive." (Well, directly would be preferable, but I wouldn't count on being able to mount it as an external drive.)

4. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not going to be coding for the iPhone as I don't really have time at the moment, however I'm sure it'll be an interesting device to code for in the future.

5. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Are you guys following this?

[​IMG]

:eek: :D

6. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How did so many people get to use this pre-release, yet no real leaks about feature set? Apple has very powerful attorneys...

Can't wait to play.

7. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Get ready to pony up the $100 though.

Edit: seems you have to pay to publish, but the SDK download is free.

8. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I thought they are just taking 30% if you charge.
    Edit: Just saw that...why must they monetize everything? *sigh*

9. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well I just signed up:

But their website won't even load for me to download.

10. macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

From what I can tell, if you're publishing a free app, you won't be paying the $99 fee. For a commercial app, $99 is nothing to be put in front of so many potential customers.

11. macrumors 6502a

SDK is Intel only, it wont install on my iMac G5.

12. macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

Do we know if the iPhone SDK is Objective-C only, or has support for the other Cocoa friendly languages such as Python and Ruby?

13. macrumors 601

HiRez

Hmm, that's how I think it should work. However, as I understand it you can only use the SDK locally for free, you still need to pay the $99 to distribute the app (using AppStore), even if it's a free app. That's kind of a bummer for a lot of people if it's true.

EDIT: To be more clear, it seems that you can only run apps on the iPhone simulator on your Mac for free, I don't even think you can install them on your own iPhone without paying (apparently this buys you a certificate that authenticates when you install or something).

14. macrumors 601

HiRez

Does anyone know if the SDK will work with Tiger and Xcode 2 or will Leopard and Xcode 3 be required? I have a feeling it's the latter but I'd like confirmation.

15. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I'm pretty sure I read it was Leopard only, since isn't it using Instruments?

16. macrumors 601

HiRez

Using the bridges in Leopard it shouldn't matter what language you're calling from, right? So just a guess but I think it should probably work using Python or Ruby. Only hitch might be getting it compiled and packaged correctly to install on iPhone?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it probably won't work if there's no Python or Ruby runtime on the iPhone. There may be but I didn't see it mentioned. Or maybe it's possible to install that but if it's not installed by default on every iPhone it's not good. But they could probably add those to an iPhone software update.

17. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I'm sure it has to do with the fact that the ARM processor is little-endian. Probably wasn't worth Apple's effort to make it PPC compatible.

Unless it's already supposed by the iPhone, I doubt it'll be added via third-party since it's looking like the SDK is allowing developers to only write .apps at this point.

I wish all the newbies would stop loading Apple's site so I can download the SDK.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yeah I want it :mad:

It looks much better than I thought it would be, I thought the interface would have to be hand coded rather than using an interface builder.

19. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I agree, I'm quite impressed with the IB integration, plus the simulator is awesome, and remote debugging will be very useful.

Looks my new avatar kicked in ;)

20. macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

I wish I had some app ideas... :eek:

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

:D il miss the old one

22. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Start porting over GIMP. I want to see a working prototype in 3 weeks. Get busy.

;)

He's going on sabbatical :)

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Anyone downloaded it yet, I have got as far as the log in page and the connection drops.

How big is it ?

24. macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

Sir, yes sir!

/runs off

25. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

From this post it's 2GB. Not sure if I believe that, but if so that is ridiculous.

Edit: Another post says it's 2.1GB. I guess it is that big.