iPad Will you buy a black iPad 5 if the shell is anodized black

Discussion in 'iPad' started by puma1552, Jul 18, 2013.

?

Will you buy a black iPad 5 if the shell is anodized black?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. macrumors 68040

I prefer a black bezel iPad, but hate the cheap looking, easy to scuff black anodizing on the iPad mini/iPhone 5, so I think if the black shell makes it to the iPad 5 (which it surely will), I'll either keep my 4 as long as possible or switch to white.

You?

2. macrumors 6502a

I would only buy it if it came with a slate back, like the Mini. :cool:

3. macrumors 6502a

i know that Ipad should be sheding some weight but if apple do that by using the same materials as Ipad mini then maybe Ipad 2 willjust be my last Ipad. Or i will just go for the reduced priced Ipad 4.

4. macrumors P6

MacDawg

I love my Mini and my iPhone 5 and have no problems with the finish on either
    I would seriously consider upgrading my iPad 3 to the next gen if it had the same look and feel

5. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

metal case with black bezel like iPad 2 looks good to me. :apple:

6. macrumors 6502a

Yes. I want it in black, with a glowing Apple logo :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Pakaku

I wouldn't mind a black back with a metal ring around the edge of the screen bezel. Considering the black is essentially a paint job, this shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.

8. macrumors 68000

Not sure what some people do with their tech. I've had an iPhone 5 and Mini since launch and both are practically mint. Both caseless, used everyday, travel a lot etc, no special treatment.

9. macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine is fond of saying, "Some people could break an anvil." :D My father could make a new car look 10 years old in two months, and I see people throw their car keys and sell phones onto table when they get home, so....

P.S. Back in my photography days, it wasn't cool to own a Nikon that wasn't black. When the black wore off the edges to reveal the brass underneath, it showed the camera had seen a lot of use ;)

10. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I'd love the iPad to have a anodized black shell.

11. macrumors member

I personally love the anodised finish, I think it looks really stylish. However, I highly doubt that the colour of the back casing would ever be a deciding factor for me - I'm buying it for what's on the inside, and if it looks good on the outside as well, that's great. After all, it's Apple - it's never going to be revolting. How often do you really look at the back of your iPad, anyway?

12. macrumors 6502a

The black iPad Mini and iPhone both look amazing, but I decided to go with the white iPhone because I didn't want white looking specks on my black phone every time the sides were scratched. So when the 5th gen iPad comes out, I'm going to go with the white one.

13. macrumors regular

srkmish

I dont care at all about these things, but please apple make the device lighter, atleast as light as Xperia Tablet Z. Then i will buy eyes closed.

14. macrumors 6502

Of course! Why wouldn't I? Love my iPhone 5 and the anodized look. I have no idea why so many people have an issue with it. Put your phone in a case if you're worried about wear and tear. Smh

15. macrumors 6502a

I don't use cases, so I'd rather go with the device that doesn't looks hideous when it does wear. My brothers black ipad mini and black iPhone both have white looking specks on the sides, and it looks terrible. If I was using a case and just covering everything up, of course it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't even see the back or sides of the phone. I'd just rather not turn a beautiful phone into a plastic bulky brick by adding a case.

16. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

I wont buy any ipads that have thinner side bezels. I will be getting a new ipad in about 2 years, and i will buy the 4 used if i have to. I dont care if its 3 years old then.

17. macrumors 6502a

I just bought a black convertible last October, so I need to color coordinate (everything on and in this car is black :D). My wife and I do a lot of fly fishing, and our reels are anodized black. American made reels have MUCH better anodizing than those made in Asia, but the price reflects that.

18. thread starter macrumors 68040

holy irrelevant comments batman

19. FrankB1191, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Not entirely irrelevant. People have been complaining about Apple's anodizing, and I can assure you that not all anodizing is equal. Fly fishing reels can be abused quite a bit without much noticeable damage to the anodized finish. Apple could change their anodizing process any time they feel too many customers are complaining. Some colors are more suited to anodizing than others BTW.
    Edit: I should have emphasized QUALITY anodized reels in the above comment. Cheap anodizing can get scratched by removing it from the package too quickly.

As far as cases, I have a matte black Lifeworks case for my black iPod. It's very thin, but offers a great deal of protection for the device's back. I bought it at Walmart, but haven't found one as nice for iPads. It's just thick enough that the protruding camera lens is perfectly flush now.

20. macrumors 68040

I think when it's time I'll be fine with a black anodized iPad. I'll throw a case on it like every iPad I've owned and not think about it.

21. macrumors newbie

22. thread starter macrumors 68040

i should say it isnt the anodizing quality that bothers me, its that the black is just plain ugly and cheap looking.

23. macrumors 68020

Each of the iPhone 5 models I've bought for my family have been easily scratched.

Conversely the iPad minis have a much better finish. It seems that Apple just got cheap with the iPhone.

24. macrumors G3

This is a weird point.

Both the black and whit iPad will have the same things inside so you'll have to decide which outside you want.

25. macrumors newbie

Doesn't matter for me.

I can't really tolerate scratches. :)

So no matter how anodised, thin, or light the iPad 5 is - I'll put it into a case where it belongs.