Will you buy a MBP/iNtel iMac now or wait for 64 bits Merom versions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by generik, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #1
    Lol, I'm really starting to get tired of adding a MBP to my Amazon.com shopping cart to look at its price, and then remove it again :D
     
  2. brikeh macrumors 6502a

    brikeh

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2006
    #2

    Im thinking about buying a 12" pb to hold me over...theyre getting quite cheap now.
     
  3. FarSide macrumors member

    FarSide

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2006
    #3
    The Intel Mobilprocessor Codename Merom should be launched Mid 2006 - same as the Desktopprocessor Conroe. I don't think we will see Merom in a MacBook Pro earlier then Rev.C of the 15' Macbook Pro. I personally think, that the new Intel PowerMacs [MacPro or w/e] could be intended to use Conroe right from the start in End 2006. If you really want a Macbook Pro now, I would buy one.

    I love your quote man!
     
  4. generik thread starter macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #4
    Thing is, if I buy now I will be a paying beta tester too :D

    But so far it looks good... just want to have the longest possible longevity out of it though, so it'd be quite a bummer if the 64 bit versions overshadow the current ones in just a mere matter of months.
     
  5. cube macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
  6. ariechel macrumors member

    ariechel

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #6
    When does Intel's fiscal year end? If they go by the US government's fiscal year, Q4 is from July 1 until September 30...

    Also: Intel maintains that they will release Merom in the second half of 2006 (see e.g. this). That would be consistent with any release date from July 1 until December 31.

    Edit: The answer to my question is: December. See this.
     
  7. generik thread starter macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #7
    Hmm...

    Well, I guess while the current Rev A model looks very seksy, the next Rev B one sporting the Merom processor will be insane, hopefully comes with dual layer drives and FW 800 :p
     
  8. cube macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    #8
    When talking about lauches, it always means calendar year.

    And it's indeed Q4. Not before. According to leaked roadmaps. Previous roadmaps stated Q3.
     
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #9
    Waiting for Merom to debut...if I can resist the urge to purchase...;) :)
     
  10. sunfast macrumors 68020

    sunfast

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #10
    I'll be waiting for Merom, but that's more because I don't need a new Mac just yet rather than needing 64bit. Those MBPs look sweet though...
     
  11. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #11
    Waiting for Merom for a Powerbook, but broke down and got a Core Duo iMac.
     
  12. ieani macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #12
    A current model has everything I need, so barring any mass problems I'll be purchasing a Macbook Pro once reviews start rolling in.
     
  13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #13
    I bought a MBP (waiting for it to ship). 64 bit doesn't really interest me at this point because there isn't going to be much software optimized to take advantage of 64 bit Intel, just like there isn't much that will take advantage of 64 bit PPC.

    I will trade up when the MBPs have integrated 802.11n and blu-ray drives (Gonna happen sooner than you think). Other than that I'll wait...unless Apple releases a tablet. I'd love a tablet with writing recognition like the Newton use to have...only a WHOLE LOT more accurate.
     
  14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #14

    I think it's funny how people say "I don't want to be a beta tester with a Rev A product" as if any Apple laptop hasn't had it's issues...most notably the FINAL PowerBook with it's defective memory slot and screen issues.

    But as "new" as the Duo Core chip is to the Mac, the MoBo it uses has been in PCs for sometime now. And to say you are waiting for the Merom because it will be more reliable than the Duo Core is ludicrious. Unlike the Duo Core, which is a modified Pentium-M, the Merom is almost a totally new chip from the ground up. THAT is going to be the true Rev A Intel product, not the Duo Core, which is a mere transitory chip.
     
  15. cr2sh macrumors 68030

    cr2sh

    Joined:
    May 28, 2002
    Location:
    downtown
    #15
    I had the Apple flu a couple weeks ago.. looking at the website every hour... checking out the specs... looking at prices... checking the refurb store, just in case!

    In your position you're much better off, I believe, waiting for the next revision.

    Stay strong man... a better life awaits you on the other side of beta!
     
  16. Diatribe macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #16
    I really tried to wait for Merom but someone was dying to buy my G4 12" Powerbook, so I ordered my MacBook Pro a week ago. My 12" was beginning to feel a little slow so I am definitely looking forward to the speed bump. If you can wait until march 2007, wait. If not buy now.
     
  17. generik thread starter macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #17
    I probably will wait till the 30th anniversary to see if Apple has anything up their sleaves, and ultimately what I really don't want to see is a repeat of the TiBook -> AlBook transition... if Steve suddenly throws the curtain off the "all new" MacBook Pros with carbon fibre casing in gun metal black I think I'll be quite sick as a AlBook owner :eek:
     
  18. Diatribe macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #18
    I don't really see that happening until the Merom revision at the end of this/beginning of next year. Then you'll have a lot of new specs, new logic boards, etc. that would justify a design change. I don't think they will until the change of the cpu has settled with everyone.
    As I said, it is either wait until next year, preferably until 10.5 and iLife 07 come bundled, or buy now. In between doesn't really make sense.
     
  19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #19
    I chose to buy now. I don't think well see updates to the casing, as Steve said, its perfect as it is now.
     
  20. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

    Felldownthewell

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2006
    Location:
    Portland
    #20
    I am wondering the exact same thing. I am not so much worried about a new processor, but this will be my first mac, and I want it to be as good as possible. The speed would be fine (going from a 2.2ghz single core P4 with 512mb RAM and a Gforce FX 5200 dell desktop to a 2.0 core duo 2gb RAM x1600 7200rpm HD macbook should be more than enough speed increase), but I am wondering if we are going to see a Rev. B macbook sometime this summer, maybe with a higher-resolution screen or more features that I would want even more. It would need to last for 2.5-3 years, and I am, as always, wary about buying a Rev A, not because of reliabliltiy issues, but because Rev. Bs often have cooler features.
     
  21. Diatribe macrumors 601

    Diatribe

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    Location:
    Back in the motherland
    #21
    And Rev. Cs have even cooler features than Rev. Bs... :p
    If you play the waiting game you wait forever. The nicest stuff will come out end of this/beginning of next year(802.11n, Blu-Ray, 200GB HDs, LED screens, etc.). So as I said, either wait until Feb/March next year or buy now.
     
  22. sk1985 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2006
    #22
    I'm personally waiting for a 20 inch macbook pro. I just bought an iBook to hold me over till then. 20 inch laptops should be hitting the market sometime late this year or early next year. LCD prices are going to be at an all time low (20 inch screens are expected to cost as much as a high-end 17 inch display). But if your the kind of person that doesn't want something so large, I'd totally invest in a Macbook pro (thats if you wanted one over a powerbook).

    I've learned it's never best to play the waiting game with electronics. Mostly from the fact that once you're gadget hits the market it's already pretty outdated. If you're fine with owning a 15 inch display then by all means buy a macbook pro. However I can see these current macbook pros being the ugly ducklings of the line up (32 bit chips will be super outdated in about 2 to 3 years and you might have software compatibility issues, Keep that in mind).

    I will say one thing, if I had the money currently to pick between a 17 inch powerbook or a Macbook pro. I'd invest in the powerbook. The only downside with the powerbook would it's G4 processor. I could see Apple and a great deal of venders dropping support for that chip in the near future (mostly with pro apps and PC games). But if your not a gamer and are fine with using your current pro apps; then the Powerbook is a fine laptop.
     
  23. generik thread starter macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #23
    Guess what, it is already here!
    1) Buy a iMac 20" from Apple
    2) Buy one of those Samsonite Oyster Suitcases
    3) Buy 3-4 of those sealed acid car batteries
    4) Buy a DC-AC invertor

    "Macbook Pro 20"" :p
     
  24. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

    Hodapp

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2003
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #24
    If you do a little bit of internet detective work, you'll see that most of the people in this thread, and other people on this forum who are "waiting for merom" were ALSO "waiting for G5 PowerBooks"... And I'd wager a bet they were "waiting for G4 PowerBooks" before this forum even existed.

    I think "waiting for ________" is code for "I want my opinion to be taken seriously even though my main computer is a bondiblue iMac."
     
  25. sk1985 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2006
    #25
    Too bad that won't be less than an inch thick...Imagine how cool it's going to be when you bust out a 20 inch laptop thats less than an inch thick. Pretty sweet I say.
     

Share This Page