Will you buy a PB after the most recent update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by generik, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    I can't believe they didn't use the 7448 chips in these..

    No way will I be supporting them with the knowledge that they are gleaning so much EXTRA profits at our expense by ripping us off! :mad:
  2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    bought a 17" with the 100gb 7200rpm hard drive. waiting for shipping confirmation. :)
  3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    If someone needs a 15 or 17 inch, I think at least they get something more, for a little less now.

    However, for me. I'm not buying. I would have bought an updated 12-inch, but none came. :)
  4. generik thread starter macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    I don't know...

    And this is what happens when Apple has no competition in this market segment.. they are probably going to goad us into believing that a G4 1.67 = a Pentium-M 1.6 for the same price. The reality of course is quite the opposite.

    The new PMs are computers that you can buy today and carry you through to the third and even forth revs of Mactels... the current PBs.. not a chance.
  5. Gmac07 macrumors member

    Jul 13, 2005
    i really wanted a new 12" pb, i might as well just get an ibook now. this really sux! im gona try and see if the parents can help me out and maybe if i get the ibook they can buy a 17" iMac for me at christmas. that way i got the portable for school and the videoediting machine i truly want.- that would actually work out better but i still would be spending a lot more money than i want to.
  6. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2005
    I'd be sorely, sorely tempted to sell my 12'' to get an upgraded 12'' if there was one, since more screen estate wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't spring for a 15'', though, and the 17'' is too big (and costly) for me.
  7. Temujin macrumors 6502a


    Oct 1, 2005
    I did :D A bto 15" Should have it in about 5 - 10 working days....
  8. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    Nope ... I'm disappointed with the update. Not even a speed bump!
  9. cal6n macrumors 68000


    Jul 25, 2004
    Gloucester, UK

    I'd have bought a 15" dual core G4, even with the old 1280 x 854 but nothing here is worth upgrading to. Nice price drop but otherwise, meh!
  10. FF_productions macrumors 68030


    Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Very Upset with the powerbook updates. its a POWERbook, for pro's, it deserves a speed bump at least :eek:

    If I had the money for a PB, i wouldn't get it. The update was so small and near-pointless. I'd rather get a dual-core powermac (man those are nice).
  11. maddav macrumors 6502


    Jul 3, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Same Here :(
  12. Nereus macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2005
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Already did ;). A 15" PowerBook is soon on its way to me. It will be my very first Mac, and I'm happy with my purchase. :D
  13. Bern macrumors 68000


    Nov 10, 2004
    Nope, I'm hanging out for a 2nd or 3rd revision Mactel Powerbook.
  14. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    to be honest, i find this a pretty good update, nothing really substantial, but the price point is the best thing. look at wha you get now for £1399! £1379 bought you the computer i have now, and i added extras!

    it still doesnt make me feel llke i bought an obsolete machine though, and i am certainly still happy with my powerbook. i intend it to have a long and happy life with me. touch wood.

    people! you waited for your update! now the wait is over! go forth and burn thy credit card!!!!:D
  15. EGT macrumors 68000


    Sep 4, 2003
    I'm a little disappointed with these updates but I wasn't expecting anything major anyway.

    I'll probably hold out until second Rev. Mactels, or maybe even buy the first Rev. if I'm impressed.
  16. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

    Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Makes me wonder.... Should I buy a 12" PB now, and a iMac G5 Now (the new one) which would equal the cost of a 17" PB (with edu discounts) and then just save up for the Intels?
  17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    The lower price and better resolution means I'm upgrading... but incredibly disappointing that there is no PCIe, X700, or even 9700 with a 256MB option.

    I would love to just buy a dual-core but with a living situation like mine, that's more or less impossible. :( I guess I don't need the speed anyway.
  18. brepublican macrumors 6502a


    Jul 22, 2005
    Thats a no-brainer. Go for it!

    And for all those yelling about the updates, I feel you. But then again, I only got my 12" PB a month ago and would have been pretty pissed had the updates been significant...

    Best advice there is.
  19. JayMtl macrumors newbie

    Oct 14, 2005
    Agree completely!!! Which is why I finally decided to purchase an iMac and not a PB after a 2-week long "iMac vs. PB" struggle. I kept mulling over the potential upgrades the PB could receive and waited for today to see what would actually happen to the PB...and frankly, not much happened. Sure, the PB (15" and 17") is Apple's best portable, but if I was to buy a PB now (given its power) I would surely find it obsolete when compared to the upcoming intel-PBs. The iMac, however, will fare better and live longer than a PB. Both are sexy, but unfortunately the PB just wasn't beefed up enough. Next time, I'm looking forward to a beast of a PB, though. Until then, I'll be in love with my iMac!! :D
  20. iDM macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    If this was a first time purchase of an Apple Comp I'd say yes, but I have a 1.25 ghz 15" and besides the High Def monitor, i don't feel like i'm missing much. They have upgraded the vid card since mine and they have updated the processor(not by much, or at least not by what should be proportional), but I don't think it should have taken them 2 years to get to this point. I mean if you put it in terms like that, I bought a Rev. A(was a regret since i had the white spots) and the fastest 15" that was available was 1.25ghz. After 2 YEARS they have only made it to 1.67 and it's taken them that long to adopt better quality monitors? I have gotten 2 solid years out of this thing and I still don't desire this new one.
  21. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2005
    I'm just thankful we don't have to see anymore "New PB?" threads!!!
  22. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I am 17''!!! for my mom!( grandmoms helping pay)

    it more then good enought for her she just needs the 17'' screen i think teh G4 is at its limits!
  23. amin macrumors 6502a


    Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is exactly what I expected, which is why I bought my 15-inch Powerbook a couple months ago.
  24. iSaint macrumors 603


    May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    If I had the money I'd buy a 15" PB now, with the biggest harddrive possible. If I had a job, I'd have the money. I don't know what it is about my wife wanting me to get a job.

    But, how soon will the Intel PBs come out? January '06?
  25. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C

    What did you expect the resolutions are better i think teh 15 and 17 are cheaper(i know the 17'' is) better battery life says apple

Share This Page