Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I believe the new iPad mini with retina will be based on iPad3 technology - this is how Apple will keep a healthy distance between the iPad and iPad Mini.

The small form factor comes at a price I am not willing to pay knowing that the iPad 5 will be the next-gen tablet, faster, lighter, etc. - to see that kind of technology in the iPad Mini you would have to wait for some yrs (2+) ... so for me the decision is easy - iPad 5, paying today's money for technology of today.

tres simple mon ami :)

Oh you were referring to the next iPad mini? Ok, then I understand why you wrote iPad 3. I thought you meant that the current mini was based on iPad 3 (it's basically a shrunken iPad 2). I will most likely get the iPad 5 when it comes out, but if I can get a retina mini for a good price at the same time, then I might get that instead.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I will upgrade my 3 to 5 IF it's lighter. That's it. Otherwise I'll stick w/ the 3 b/c I can't get much for it relative to what I paid for it these days unlike my previous iPads.

I will upgrade my mini to a 2 IF it has Retina. I have no other issues with the mini other than the screen.

Caveat: I don't know how Apple will retroactively cripple either the 3 or mini by excluding iOS7 features. But the above is my story as of now.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
You seem pretty sure they will do it some way or other. Is this based on the exclusion of Siri in the iPhone 4?

Siri, killing multitasking gestures for the original ipad and multitaking for older devices etc. On the flip side it looks like iPad 2 may still be supported in some fashion in the next release considering the fact that it has the same internals as the the 5g touch and the mini.

It would make it Apple's longest supported ios device a precedence i hope they would continue to adopt.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You seem pretty sure they will do it some way or other. Is this based on the exclusion of Siri in the iPhone 4?

It's based on what Apple has done with every version of iOS since 2.0 (Original iPhone can't make folders). There is always one or two features that will only work with the very newest model. Sometimes that feature is major-ish, like Siri w/ the iPhone 4, sometimes, who cares, like the compass in iPhone 3GS.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Happy with 4

Since I got a 64gb ipad 4 I'm not planning on replacing it soon. Personally, I like the large bezel on the sides, which I've heard they will be removing with the 5th gen to make it more mini-like. It gives a place to hold on to for support. The A6X chip is also so fast I don't see it becoming outdated soon at all. And for screen resolution, if you think the current ipad resolution needs to be improved you must not be using it right. I can't comfortably get close enough to my screen to even notice the pixels. But I suppose if I was really obsessed and had nothing better to spend my money on I'd consider the 5th gen. But usually my philosophy is to use it till its broke or so outdated that it might as well be broken.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
maybe not as we currently have Ipad 3 (retina) and Ipad mini. or depending on the specs. if it has standard 32G, weight is as light as a Mini, and with expandable memory (wishful thinking) i might consider.

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
I've got the iPad 4. It's got more than enough power and the screen is excellent.

I will not get the 5 for a minor spec bump which will not be apparent for normal use.

The 4 is a bit too heavy, but not enough to make me ditch it for a slightly lighter version of the same thing.

I'm more interested in IOS upgrades, which are free.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm unlikely to get the iPad 5. I'm very happy with my 3gen and don't see the 5 offering any real improvement to my work flow. I'd really like a mini, though, if (and only if) it comes with retina.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
ive got a 4 i keep in the house and a mini i take everywhere. i would def. not upgrade to a 5 because i cant imagine what they could add that i would badly want for home use, but i'd consider selling the mini for a retina mini if that actually happens.

passey

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
if the new ipad mini 2 has retina then i will be selling my ipad 4 for it but unless there is some massive improvement from the ipad 4 to 5 then i will keep the 4

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I still have the iPad 1! You can imagine, what I'm going to do...:D

Same here.

The iPad 3 and 4 are WORSE than the iPad 1 when it comes to weight and charging times.

I don't like anything as a downgrade when 'upgrading' my hardware. Hopefully, the iPad 5 will be lighter and have less charging time (or bigger battery to make up for a longer charging time), or I'll have a dilemma about upgrading.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Have you ever used one, serious question...?

Yes I have used one - True I like form factor; but the screen for me is a major let down; sure good enough; but not good enough considering you are buying old technology all the way from screen to processor (iPad2). I tend to get a minimum of three years use out of my mobile device - a current iPad Mini, in three years would be based on technology that is 5yrs old.

I for one am not going to choose form over function and will stick with the iPad as that will remain the flagship product compared to mini.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.