Will you buy AppleCare with iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stickyfingers85, Sep 9, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Just wondering how many people will be planning on buying AppleCare with iPhone 5 on release day, or after?

Is it worth it for an iPhone?

2. macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I'm thinking seriously about it. An extra year of warranty, 2 replacements for $49 if something happens to your phone. It sure beats paying full price if something happened. And from what an Apple sales rep told me, the Applecare can be transferred to a new phone if you happen to upgrade in a year to a new iPhone. Personally, I like the sound of it.

3. macrumors regular

moosquared

The $49 replacement is for the applecare +.
    Made the mistake of purchasing just regular applecare, and when I broke my iPad, had to pay $250 to get it replaced.

4. macrumors 6502a

Cody21

oops, my bad. The Applecare + is the one I'm thinking of purchasing.

5. macrumors 6502a

davehutch

If it comes with the same Home Button and microphone as my iPhone 4...definitely!

6. macrumors 68020

willmtaylor

All iPhones come with AppleCare, the OP is referring to AppleCare+ ($99 for 2 years and $49 per incident of replacement, up to 2).

Yes. I'll be getting it. I'm clumsy as all get out, and it's worth the peace of mind.

7. macrumors 65816

I will definitely get AppleCare+, as that is what I have on my 4S and LTE iPad now.

8. macrumors 68020

I typically don't so can't see myself doing it this time.

9. macrumors 6502

malias4

i think i wont, i have for my imac but for my new ipad i didnt also for the iphone 5 i think i wont do it..

10. macrumors 68020

I will be buying it.

I didn't think apple even offered basic applecare anymore. I thought applecare + is all there was? I bought whatever warranty for both the iphone and ipad. I didn't specify which (I believe i referred to it as applecare on the phone with them) but it's indeed the applecare + warranty.

11. macrumors regular

I'm planning on purchasing applecare+ when I pre-order. This is technically my first iPhone so I really don't know how delicate they are. I rather be safe than sorry. ;)

12. macrumors 65816

They do not come with the extended apple care. All devices get 1 year. There is the extension of the warranty apple care and then there is AppleCare plus.

13. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Wish we had + in the UK sounds like a good buy.

14. willmtaylor, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

macrumors 68020

willmtaylor

I think there's some confusion here. Apple products come with AC by default; it's included out of the box, but of you want additional coverage for a a longer period of time, then you purchase AC+.

15. macrumors 65816

I'm planning on it. It's cheaper than the monthly Verizon Asurion plan and I feel far more comfortable dealing with Apple than Verizon.

I presently have an Android phone with Verizon. I began having problems with it two weeks ago. As it turns out, Verizon has removed the repair people from their corporate store here. I had no idea. It's been a long time since I've been in that store. A salesperson :rolleyes: futzed with the phone for several minutes and then wandered off and spoke to someone behind a closed door. When he came back he tried to go off on a tangent of 'If this is the result of damage Asurion will charge you a $100 deductible BUT you're out of contract so I can sell you one of these over here.' Obviously, sales had no interest in resolving a phone failure issue and he was more interested in selling me a new phone. I told him I was planning on changing phones in September and would hold off until then. "Why are you waiting until September?" To get a new iPhone. "Oh." And that was the end of the conversation. He just walked away. Nice.

16. macrumors G3

No point in getting AppleCare+ for me as I upgrade yearly and my credit card coverage doubles the standard one year warranty anyway.

17. macrumors 65816

But does it double it for damage? That's not part of the original warranty.

18. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

No. If you do not buy applecare+ you can get a new phone for $199....applecare+ cost $100 w/ a $50 deductible, so only a $50 difference for one replacement. I would rather save my money and only use it if needed.

19. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have been more specific

I'm in the UK, so here we get a standard 1 year warranty when we buy an iPhone from Apple. We can then extend it to two years by buying "Applecare"

"Applecare+" isn't available in the UK

20. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

In your case, it would depend how long you plan on having the phone. The UK applecare does not cover accidental damages. If you are going to have the phone 2 years, then it could be worth it. If you upgrade yearly, you are wasting money. Plus, I think you can buy regular applecare anytime within the 1 year stock warranty, so always wait until the last minute

21. macrumors 6502a

please explain, I didn't think Apple does this anymore.

22. thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be buying the iphone 5 outright from Apple as I do a lot of travelling abroad for business and constantly have to change the sim cards over for each country i go to

Is Applecare and international warranty? SO for instance if it breaks down in China i could go to the Apple shop in Beijing for a replacement? (In Theory)

23. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

They do. If you were to accidently break your phone w/o applecare+, they offer you an Out of Warranty replacement for $199. By far the most economical choice and really makes applcare+ less appealing.

24. macrumors demi-god

Out of warranty replacement is $199. :apple:

Oops, someone beat me to it. :)

25. macrumors G3

90 days for accidental damage, loss and theft (it's an excellent time period to allow people to handle your new iPhone :cool: ). After 3 months, it's just $50 more if you were to replace a damaged iPhone without purchasing AppleCare+ so not worth it IMO.