Will you give Safari another chance with Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edesignuk, Apr 21, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As with many people, I have not used Safari as my primary browser for a very long time. I have been an avid Firefox fan, and still am...but...

With the claimed speed improvements of Safari 2.0 in Tiger, I will be giving it another chance.

How about you? Have you been a deserter, now drawn back with v2?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Safari is very fast in Tiger. It loads up new pages like it were in cache. It resizes much smoother as well. RSS and Private browsing are the two really big new features in Safari.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've always used Safari, I found FF too buggy. But Safari 2.0 is much faster and hasn't beachballed on me yet :D

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

How does Safari v1.3 on Panther compare to Safari on Tiger?

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I use Safari right now and i have no probs with it. Of course I will use Safari 2 :D

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That wasn't the question.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

On my system, 1.3 beachballed excessively. Sure, rendering was faster than 1.2, but overall stability made it worse than 1.2 in my opinion. 2.0, on the other hand, appears to render faster than 1.3 and is an order of magnitude more stable :)

In addition, it has new features like RSS, inline PDF viewing, private browsing, and an inability to disable the Google bar :(

8. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Yeh i am starting using Safari again, i was using FF before mainly really. The latest update has made Safari competitively fast with FF, although i still much prefer the gui/short cuts in FF.
    I guess i will use Safari 2 when i get Tiger, i love the RSS it adds. Two things i would love them to do with Safari is add a spring loading tab button (too much to ask??) and add the Mail GUI (as someone on this forum is/has done) - i really dislike the brushed metal, it looks so dated.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've always said I'll give Safari 2 a chance... and if it's better than Firefox I'll switch back for sure...

But it has to work in my internet bank, it gotta give me control over which places to NOT block pop-ups, it's gotta give me more control (ten Safari 1.x) over which content I can avoid without questionable 3rd party hacks (the extentions in Firefox seems more stable than some of the addons in Safari), has better tab-control (does not quit when I accidently hit cmd-Q instead of cmd-W with lots of tabs open), adds a search function better than Firefox' searchbar and, a small nuisance in the end, Safari has to start showing the alt-tag contents if an image is missing and not the stupid question mark...

Given those conditions I'll switch back in a minute... ;)

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

For those who use FireFox but prefer the looks of Safari here's a rather pimpin' theme.

And after what Nermal said, I'll be sticking with Safari when I finally get my hands on Tiger (8 days and counting!).

11. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Safari suits me quite well, thank you.

I have FF installed but seldom use it.

I know that we all have differebt needs, but for now Safari meets all of mine. I can't wait for the next revision... well, I can, and must. I just want it NOW. Are we a bunch of spoiled brats? Yes, we are.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nope :(

It still doesn't warn you like FF does.

Can't check this one as I haven't had a missing image yet. Come to think of it, I haven't had that error where it suddenly decides that it can't load a page either.

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It still gives the stupid question marks :rolleyes:

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's funny how Apple likes to say that they're all standards-compliant. The HTML spec requires all images to have an alt tag, yet 'standards-compliant' Safari ignores the tags :rolleyes:

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Seems like I'm gonna stick with Firefox for now, then... no problem... I'm actually quite happy with the Fox... ;)

Thanks Nermal and edesignuk...

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Have you tried Camino? Honestly I haven't used it much, but it seems to be more Mac-like than Firefox.

17. badhorsie777 macrumors member

Help a computer-savvy-albeit-RSS-ignorant fella out - what's RSS and why should I be concerned? I haven't had a problem with safari from 10.2.8 on my ibook, and I have to say, it even works with my bankofamerica.com sight. What's RSS and some problems?

Thanks, y'all!
    -badhorsie777 :D

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, didn't like it, and it actually misses many of the features I appreciate in Firefox...

I don't really care that buttons on webforms aren't aqua... I can live very well with these:

Attached Files:

19. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

i Don't actually like aqua buttons on web sites. they often look out of place.

I've been using Firefox for ages now but I will be trying out Safari 2. Safari 1.3 is notably faster with 10.3.9 but I still prefer Firefox.

As said above.. i've "pimped my ride" with firefox and got the safari theme ages ago. It's not quite the same.. but it gives you a smile.

20. mpw Guest

I downloaded FF when it was launched but reverted/sticked with Safari as the only benifit I saw in my use was compatability with certain sites. I know only use FF or IE when Safari won't plat nice with a specific site. For example I've tried booking flights with one airline website (either BE or BMI), an independent French campsite and with Eurocamp/KeyCamp through their seperate website and none would except dates picked from list in Safari but took them happily from FF/IE. Even Disney's website wouldn't work with Safari, I'd pick a date say 15th from one dropdown menu and then a month and so on, hit submit and be told that it wouldn't accept 1/1/74 on something.

21. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I use Firefox on my Mac now. I tried Safari in Panther, but I didn't give it much time and quickly installed Firefox which I've been happily using since. I plan to give Safari 2 more time to really get a better feel for it once my copy of Tiger arrives - can't wait.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I use both Firefox and Safari now. If 2.0 is fast, I'll probably shift back towards almost exclusively using Safari. It seems to do better on tabs and forms than Firefox, for one thing. Plus, it is nice and brushed-metally.

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'll probably at least give it a try, if/when I get around to upgrading. I think this time around I'm going to wait until I see a feature I really need before I upgrade.

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

They say Safari 1.3 that came in 10.3.9 has the same core as Safari 2, so Safari 1.3 is probably about the speed that Safari 2 is going to be.

Safari 1.3 has made me switch back, from Firefox, so I will likely be on Safari, with Tiger too.