Will you keep .Mac or adopt .Me?

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by jk000, Jun 9, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

jk000

According to the email I received from Apple, .Mac subscribers have their email address stick with .mac or switched to .me it's your choice...

i'll definitely stick with .mac 'mobile me' is the worst name ever :eek:

2. macrumors 601

liketom

@Mac.com just sounds cool @me.com is crap

i will keep my Mac address for as long as they let me -

3. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree that @me.com sucks it big time and sounds about as childish as a box of crayons, but the performance and features that Apple put into MM is what should have been in .Mac for YEARS.

Now that iDisk is finally useable, it's enough for me to upgrade and stop paying $8 a month for box.net.

And to be able to stop all of the syncing issues with .Mac would be a plus, though nothing was said about syncing book marks, system preferences, and dock items.

4. macrumors member

Definitely .Mac. MobileMe? Apple, Apple, what were you thinking? Ugh. Love the new features, though.

5. D4F

D4F

New features look very promising.
    100% sure that .mac stays for me. I hate that .me thing.
    Considering that it's only a domain name I am pretty sure we will be able to use .mac for years.

6. macrumors regular

I'm sticking with .mac, but I'm not really that fussed.

The 'me' thing is a bit lame, but Apple have to appeal to the lame market, because they are the majority of the general population.

7. macrumors 601

I'll be keeping my @mac.com…

No thanks to the @me.com… I am just too old for that. :eek: :D

8. macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

It all depends. @me.com is lame as hell but if the @mac.com email does not get updated (aka the new web app and features) I am going to switch. It is a pain because I just got .Mac a few weeks...months...ago and it was a pain getting everybody to email there.

9. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Your dot mac email will work with the new web apps.

I'll be keeping the @mac.com

10. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Just curious, do you have a link for that? Because if we do get all the features of MM without having to get a corny MM address then yes, I will stick with .mac.

11. macrumors 601

liketom

June 9, 2008
    As a current .Mac member, your @mac.com email will continue to work as it always has. But your account will also be given a new email address @me.com.
    Even if you do nothing, email sent to either address will still arrive in your inbox and you can send email from either address in MobileMe Mail on the web. However, in order to send email from your me.com address in your email client (e.g. the Mail application on your Mac), you will need to set up your me.com account in Mail preferences.
    You may also use either address as your Apple ID for purchases on the Apple Store or iTunes—they are automatically linked. However, they will work separately as an iChat ID.
    For more details, including how to set up your new address in Mac OS X Mail and iChat, go to the MobileMe FAQ.

12. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Thanks Liketom, this basically answers my questions.

From the looks of it, if you have .Mac you get the benefit of keeping all the .mac addresses you set up and a .me address that you don't have to use as well.

13. macrumors regular

Correct. It is clearly stated in the email and on the website. I'll be using both. Although I do have to admit mobileMe is a crap name. Why couldnt they keep it as .mac or even .apple if they are worried about the windows features being overlooked with the .mac name?

14. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Because mobile me with the fluffy cloud is CUTE.

Much like most of the average consumers that want the Mac Book Pro to look cuter and thinner for it's update. :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

How about "Email Only" accounts??

When I purchased my .Mac account I also added an email only account for a family member. Wonder what happens to that account? Under .Mac, "Email Only" accounts don't get storage space so there's no data syncing... No mention of those accounts yesterday or anywhere on the support/faqs pages.

16. macrumors 68040

do have to give a specific choice of @mac or @me?

i was under the impression either would just work... so all existing .mac customers could use @mac and/or @me and any new MM customers would only have @me?

its lame anyway.. @me is a bit childish - actually, i remember having an @me.com email address about 10 years ago from my local ISP... see how thats come round :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, that is my understanding too. both domains will work, and they'll be tied to the same account (except for iChat, where they'll be two separate iChat logins).

You don't have to choose, you have use of both.

Personally, as everyone knows my email as ending in @mac.com, I'll probably stick with that.

I presume that after July, new signups will only get a @me.com address.

18. macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

@me.com?? Too Cheesy.

Nope, I prefer using the @mac.com address. Finally, we're in the workplace being taken seriously and they go with ME.COM???? Maybe they'll wake up before the launch July 11.

19. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed, it's gotten to the point now where I don't have to spell out my address slowly for other people. They know what a MAC is and they know that DotMAC is a viable email address that a lot of people are starting to pick up since it's worth it.

I feel a bit sorry for new signups, I really hope they don't mind the @me.com thing. Easy to remember, sounds like a box of crayons and fluffy clouds coming out of your mouth.

20. macrumors regular

Good point! I hope somebody can find the answer to this or even contact apple? I also have email aliases tied to my main email address. I wonder if they will also be usable as me.com email addresses?

21. macrumors 6502a

MobileMe now makes it worth it for me, but I don't want a stupid @me.com account, so I signed up for .Mac now, so I could get a @mac.com address before it's too late.

22. macrumors newbie

so whats with the .mac anad the .me ? is there any difference?

23. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't use .mac email even though I use the service for backup and syncing calendars -- I prefer gmail. But if I had to pick I'd probably prefer me.com. @mac.com sounds too fanboyish.

24. macrumors 68020

pilotError

.Mac will turn into me.com automatically. .Mac will no longer exist.

25. macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I emailed .Mac Support. I'll post their reply.