Will you recommend 20" Apple cinema display!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pbagaindoc, Jul 2, 2005.

1. pbagaindoc macrumors member

I need a display, mostly doing picture,movie edit and internet. what display would you recommend! I have a $700 budget. Thanks in advance!

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

apple cinema display 20 inch. ;)

no thought about it.

period. :cool:

3. mmoin macrumors regular

Or you could save a few hundred dollars and get a 2005FPW.

4. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

get the 2005fpw, spenidng hundreds of dollars more (on the same exact screen), means you are not making a wise decision which may indicate other things... Dell 2005fpw is exactly the same thing as the Apple Cinema display. For 800 dollars more, you get white acrylic border and apple logo!!!! YEAH!!!!!! Thus, I will not recommend 20 inch Apple cinema display

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

and without the whining about "you should have gotten a better card" - will the GeForce FX5200 that came stock in a revB dual 1.8 G5 push the 2005FPW as well as a 15" analog flat panel without any problems?

I purchased the cheapy card in the first place with plans to upgrade it down the line with a new monitor, but money is an issue... if I can get by with it for now, I'll keep it, and get something good in a few months. I've been pondering this purchase for a while now.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm having no problems with the the G5's stock Gforce 5200 running my Dell 24"

BTW Dell is offering 20% off right now on the 24"

7. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

that's exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks.

linky for the 24, if anyone's interested: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...8&cs=04&l=en&mnf=694&Page=productlisting.aspx

I know someone with this monitor already and they really seem to like it a lot. I must admit, it's quite tempting.

8. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Definitelt recommend it, Apple cinema monitors are not bad now for real accurate color work, the days of having to use CRT's only are over...I used Mitsubishi Diamondtron's for years until I got my 30" cinema... :)

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have 2 20" AL ACDs hooked up to my Power Mac I can't fault them at all, they are amazing displays.

10. OryHara macrumors regular

the dells are nice, only get the apple if you need the the display to match the computer.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i just got a 19" lacie electron blue crt, $199 refurbished from lacie.com, it's $399 for a refurb 22" or ~$800 for a new 22". it's a great display, much better than any lcd i've seen, including apple cinema displays. just thought i'd throw that out there, since you didnt mention you were looking exclusively for a lcd. if you are looking for a lcd display i'd recommend a cinema or a dell 20". they're the same display, just in different housings and the dell has some extra features. if the dell is full price ($749 and most assuredly tax) i'd go with the cinema display since you can get it somewhere without tax so it'd end up being cheaper. :)

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, only the LG.Philips LCD LM201W01 panel is the same. The rest (including backlight, internals, and warranty) are different.

AnandTech: The 20" LCD Shootout: Dell versus Apple

13. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If you talk to someone named Patricia, she might be able to hook you up with a Dell 2405FPW for ~$840 and no shipping charges.

Here's an email a buddy of mine got from her....

2405FPW FOR $840.00 !!!!! CALL FOR ORDERS TO :-

1-800-456-3355 Ext 7240141 Followed By 5820.
    Or email me at patricia.bhattachary@wipro.com

Warm regards,
    Patricia.
    Co 04 BSDT Software & Peripherals Sales Representative, Dell Inc.
    WIPRO BPO Solutions Ltd - Dell Facility

This is through Dell Small Business.

Not sure if she's still offering the special price or not. But definitely worth a shot.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Get 20 inch ACD for sure! :D Its so damn beautiful

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

For price, the Dell 2005FPW with optional input panel. $400ish
    For outstanding beauty and fine quality, the Apple 20" WS display
    $699 education
    For quality and remarkable function, the Dell 2405FPW $800-$899.
    The Apple 23" simply has too many inconsistent quality control issues for $1299.
    The Apple 30" HD display offers the highest quality, size, beauty and color accuracy available in an LCD display, but.... $2699 puts that out of the ballpark for most of us.

16. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Are the Dell LCDs certified for proofing (SWOP, I think it is) and/or or are any graphics/photo folks using it?

It's very tempting to put the 20" ACD I ordered up on EBay to get a 24" (even more future-proof) but my primary uses will be photography and design so color is rather important.

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I don't do photography much, so I'd ask Dell when you call them.

I'm sure one has to calibrate the display to their preferences anyway.

You'll get your best prices talking directly to Dell.

18. papersushi macrumors regular

Widescreen all the way! Who still wants a 4:3 ratio display these dyas. Apple's 20 in is very reasonably priced, put your sexy PowerBook and PowerMac to a ugly black Dell plastic 4:3 display is just plain ugly. Performance counts, price counts BUT taste counts too!

19. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Without A Doubt!

Go for it- All the way!

I love my Classic (Original Style) 20" Cinema Display I just got a 17" Studio Display to Match for my wonderful Extended Desktop Studio!

The 20" is wonderful and Amazing a perfect balance between Professional, Budget, Fun, Space, the only thing not in balance is it's AMAZING QUALITY!!! Go for it man.

HIGHLY RECCOMEND