Will You Still Use PPC?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Jul 29, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    So when the new intel chipsets come out and are available for the mac, will their be some of you "die-hard" mac fans that will refuse to buy them and still continue to use only PPC based macs? Why am I asking such a question? Perhaps their are some in the mac community that are this way? I could careless really, just as long as it comes with OS X. Which hopefully by that time will Leopard.
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    well... you couldn't stick with the old chips for too long- everything would become very outdated in a few years...
  3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    I plan on buying a PB this Dec. So i'll be using teh PPC platform for about 3 years.
  4. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002

As soon as I heard that Apple was going Intel, I consious bought a Dual G5!

I am even considering the last PB G4 although I do have a 1.25GHz. 15Inch PB. If it comes to performance I believe there will never again be a reason to upgrade.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm at least holding on to my iBook G4 until the second rev. of any Intel 'Books. That is if the iBook holds... ;)

If the iBook is in dire need of replacing close to the release of the first rev. I'm probably gonna look for a cheap, secondhand G4 'Book...
  6. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I will use my PowerBook until it explodes or dies from use. That will not stop me from buying an Intel computer during either Rev B or Rev C...
  7. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Intel chipsets won't be "available" for the Mac, they will be part of some Macs until 2007 when they become part of all Macs (available for sale). Between 2006 and 2007, there will be some PPC-based Macs and there will be Intel-based Macs. But, they will all be Macs. If you need Classic and a new computer, you will have to buy a PPC-based Mac. If you want the latest and greatest and don't need Classic, then you will buy an Intel-based Mac. If you need Classic after 2007, you will just have to keep your old Mac.
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    The soul of a Mac has always been the OS. I couldn't give a flying squirrels ass if it were PPC or Intel.
  9. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    Over the years I have grown to hate intel and windows alike. It's just very confusing when something you've put all your trust into is now going to be replaced by something you see as the devil, or the enemy. I really don't know what to do.

I have realized that in the notebooks, the G4's are sucking, and I can't wait for either a G5 powerbook or a intel powerbook. However, with the desktops, I think the G5 is the best chip out there. I don't think intel can top it. Thats why I would definatly buy the best G5 powermac before the intel switch. The G5 is where its at.

But since I'll be looking for a notebook for college around mid-06 I will be buying either a G5 powerbook, or an intel one. I'm not wasteing any money on a $2000 notebook with a G4......
  10. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    Well, the real die-hard mac fans aren't going to care about Apple going to Intel processors anyways...

Those guys are still using 68k based Macs and long ago refused to touch anything that used IBM technology. :eek:

Somehow, I highly doubt that this switch in processors is going to effect them all that much. ;)

If you are fishing for some type of fanatical response from someone like that, I think you'll be waiting around for a while. :eek:

As for me, I'm sure I'll be using PowerPC based Macs long after the switch has finished. I only refuse to buy new system until I actually have a need for one. In that way... yes, I'll refuse to buy one (when they are released, assuming I don't actually need a new system by that point) and still continue to use only my PowerPC based Macs.

I was still using 68040 based systems up to a couple years ago. I'm still using Macs that are over 10 years old today, I'll most likely still be using Macs from today 10 years from now. Has nothing to do with what company made the processor, it has to do with the useful life of the system.

And I'm sure I'll have an Intel based Mac 10 years from now... seeing as I use an Intel based system today.
  11. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    i'll use my iMac for a few more years and then a intel mac, not becuz i dis like PPC becuz by thne intel macs will be faster and i will need a new mac!
  12. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Heh, PPC, x86, MIPS, it makes no damn difference to me. It got the Apple logo on it? Check. It's got OS X on it? Check. It's FAST LIKE HELL? CHECK! I'M IN!!!

Simple as that.
  13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    It depends on the speed difference with the new Intel chips. If they're not fast enough for me to warrant getting a new machine, then no, I won't.

Actually I'm hoping that when the Intel Macs come out, all the PPC based Macs drop in price. I'm gonna go out and stock up on 17" PowerBooks for every room in the house :D
  14. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm jumping ship when the second revision Intel PBs come along. Why die hard?
  15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    So who's dying?

My Pismo is still going (2000)
    My Kanga is still going (1997) ;)

I agree with the rev B advice though; I can't wait to see what kind of teething problems this first batch has.

There's also the argument that PPC software development will die out.
  16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    just as long as their no freakin intel inside stickers on it, its all good :p
  17. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Ditto, or that damn jingle.
  18. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I'll spring for an "intel inside" Power Mac when they reach rev B.
    On the Power Book front, i'll buy whatever is top of the line next july-august.

Attached Files:

19. d-fi macrumors member

Jan 12, 2004
    Calgary, Canada
    RE: Will You Still Use PPC?

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

As soon as the last PPC mac stops being produced i'm to douse my powerbook in gasoline light a match. then dance around till it and the rest of my house burns.

That'll show em.....
  20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    not everybody will be able to buy a new mac just because new chips are out. i'll buy a dual G5 this fall and then i won't be able to buy a new mac for the next four years regardless what chipset is in there.
    the reason i want a ppc now is that i want a fast computer now and not in one year when the intel ppc's are out.
    i also want to be sure that my current set up (printers, drivers, software, utilities) will work without any problem.
    in four years my printers and software is probably slowly getting outdated. then i will buy a new machine and i don't give a rats rear end what chip is in there. by then probably the way we use computers at home is quite different from now anyway. then we probably buy a all in one digital hub solution.

my 2 cents.

21. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    I am a lifelong Apple/Macintosh user, my first Mac was the 512K in 1985 with many Macs in between up until today. I now own a dual 2.7 G5. I have occasionally used but not owned a PC to test some of the websites I build to see how they look and perform on a PC because 95% of computer users bought into the hype and run Windblows, but that is it.

I am also sad to see Apple joining forces with Intel regardless of all the bandwagon jumpers that are lining up to buy Apple/Intel machines because of the elusive goal of faster and faster processors. Apple's true and loyal community will be forever changed, just a sign of the times like all the other innovative and original companies that have merged for survival or greater marketshare.

IMO Apple will inevitably lose part of what has made it the only original, cool alternative or choice to Windblows and Bill Gates' vision of what the internet and computer user experience should be.

I for one am glad I got a pre Intel Dual G5 and will not switch to Intel processors, and will not buy a glorified Wintel machine and run Longhorn. I would rather go open source or Linux first...So to all mass consumers who can't wait for Intel/Apple machines running Longhorn, enjoy your "faster" processors, half of which you won't truly use anyways when opening your mail or browsing the web.

Sorry for my long rant, call me an Apple zealot or whatever, but after 20 years of using Macs I have earned the right to voice my opinion about a company that I have supported for so long...
  22. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I think I will use both Intel and PPC even after Intel-based Macs come out

Intel, because it will the new cool thing and hopefully won't beachball as much as my current iBook. I maxed this thing out and it still won't run like I want it, but I can't afford a new Mac.

PPC because it works well (other than beachballing), and it reminds me why I started liking Macs in the first place.

To the poster above me; I can understand why you mourn the loss of PPC, I agree with you to a certain extent, and you are free to state your opinion.

But in all honesty, would you have wanted to see Apple die a slow death sticking with G4s and losing 50% of their business because of visibly inferior laptop technology? Not to incite you or anything, but nostalgia makes us see things as better than they actually were. I remember people complaining when I was a new Mac user about how Motorola made Mac users wait a long time for a 50 MHz increase, and how IBM would save everything with the G5...and then we were waiting on IBM for laptop G5s not too long ago. Being a lifelong Mac user, you'd remember that, right?

I think Apple will find a way to help us users use all the power that will be arriving to us. Consumer video editing for example, is truly done BEST on a Mac. And that is a function of awesome software, not just hardware. That is something that Apple does quite well, and that I haven't seen anyone else even come close to getting right.

I see this transition like the 68k->Power transition. Nothing changed really; it's just another processor under the hood. It will be the same with Intels. And the Apple community will not likely change that much either. In all the time I've been on these forums (browsing since 2002, right when OS X was starting to be the thing) the people here have always been awesome. And I expect them to fully remain so.
  23. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    ...Southerners :rolleyes:
  24. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    Same i'll wait until rev b or c of an intel Mac, maybe then I will have enough money to upgrade the software, I'm hoping companies will offer a part exchange program which I very much doubt it!
  25. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I plan to wait until Rev. B of whatever Intel Mac it is that I want. For PowerBooks, I'd assume Rev. B will come out spring 2007 or so, which is probably just about the right time for me to upgrade. I'll be graduating from college then. However, I plan to keep this PowerBook around until it either breaks, or is unable to run anything resembling a recent version of OS X, whichever comes first.