Will you upgrade or do a fresh install of Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lamina, Mar 28, 2007.

Will you do a clean install of Leopard or just upgrade?

1. Reformat

100 vote(s)
  2. Upgrade

44 vote(s)
  3. Not sure

28 vote(s)
  1. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
  2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    Most likely reformat if it's as simple as putting the cd in and telling it not to upgrade. Clean start. Hopefully all of my software will still work on Leopard.
  3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    I'll definitely be reformatting. There's nothing like a clean install of OS X.
  4. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Reformat. Learnt that the hard way when upgrading from Panther to Tiger.
  5. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    With Leopard, it will really depend on the timing of when the new OS and the Mac Pro come out. If both are timed to come together then there'd be no need to reformat or upgrade!

However in the past I've never felt the need to reformat. An upgrade has always done the trick for me.
  6. bankshot macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    Not exactly reformat, but I'll install it on a separate drive/partition and keep Tiger around (and bootable) until I'm satisfied with Leopard as my only OS. That's what I did with every previous upgrade -- Puma -> Jaguar, Jaguar -> Panther, and Panther -> Tiger. In the last case, it was particularly useful because Tiger had a USB bug where it would kernel panic every few days on my machine, so I stuck with Panther for a few months after buying Tiger. It turned out to be a USB mini-hub that I later ditched, though I still contend that the software should have handled it more gracefully instead of crashing. I only recently blew away my Panther install to reclaim some space on that disk.

For most people, I strongly recommend the Archive & Install option. It's the best of both worlds -- little to no incompatibility problems, your old system is still there in case you need to copy something over, and you still get a clean system. I'd do this too, but I'm such a control freak that I prefer to do a clean install on a new disk/partition and manually copy over whatever I'm missing until I'm satisfied. :rolleyes: :D

I'm sure Apple's done a nice job with it, but I still advise everyone to stay far away from the Upgrade option. There's simply no way for them to anticipate every little piece of third-party software you may have installed which made subtle changes to your existing system. Those changes, when carried forward into the new OS, could spell unexpected trouble. At the very best, you'll have a lot of extra unused crap laying around your new system taking up disk space. At the worst, that crap will interfere with the new system and cause problems. I don't think the Upgrade is worth that risk at all.
  7. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    As always I will be doing a clean install. I always do so I can get the max performance of the os.
  8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Reformat. Just to be sure there won't be any problems.
  9. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    what i will do is wait 3 weeks after it is in people's hands, to make sure everything is OK and get a 10.5.1 update, THEN reformat.
  10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I'll upgrade, but I have no idea what that'll involve for OS X Server :S
  11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Reformat, but will probably go on full, bug alert for the first release, and wait 'til the second update to buy.
  12. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2005
    New York
    I will reformat. The only issue will be backing up my entire itunes library, i think that will be about 4 dvds lol.
  13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Never done a clean install, never needed one. They're way too disruptive. That's why I use a Mac.
  14. Xavier macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2006
    If it comes out on time, I won't have to worry about reformating or upgrading. I'll have my new MPB in my hands!

But it it's not, then I will do a reformat. Like others have said, there is nothing like a clean install of Mac OS X. :)
  15. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Definitely not reformatting, but I'm not sure if I want to Upgrade & Install or Archive & Install.
  16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Clean installs at work with new installs of CS3 and Quark 7 on four, maybe five Macs. Archive and install installs on the other 4 that don't run productivity apps.

At home, not sure. The clean install of Tiger from Panther was a pain, especially with Mail and reactivating/updating apps. I'll wait to read the whimpers and howls from bleeding-edge adopters here first.
  17. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What can I say? I'm a clean install kinda guy....plus I have a backup of everything that's important to me, so, no harm no foul.
  18. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i have absolutely no experience, But I DO hope that in this kind of process, upgrade of the OS would be easy and safe. There will be too much data need to be moving around if i were to re-format it.

I did reformat on my windows laptop several years ago when I installed XP, but thats when I had 3 partitions, I can safely format C drive without worrying about data loss, my MB only has a single partition, so reformat is really not reasonable for me.
  19. mags631 Guest

Mar 6, 2007
    I always reformat -- it gives me the excuse to go through all my accumulated documents and trash unwanted stuff.

Of course, you have to be good about archiving your stuff before erasing the disk!

The difference from Windows and Mac, in my opinion, is that I tend to reformat and reinstall my Windows machine every 3-6 months to recover from some problem. Excessive, but I hate trying to diagnose what's wrong with the registry, etc.

Can't wait until Leopard arrives!
  20. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Nothing beats a fresh reformat! Like others have mentioned it'll cause me to go through and trash unwanted documents and programs.

And PLUS it makes it feel like you just got a brand new computer xD
  21. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    I personally can't wait for Leopard. It'll be a great excuse to wipe my hard drive. Lately Tiger has been a little wonky for me, missing animations and stuff.
  22. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I know IJ Reilly will be in here momentarily to yell at everyone formatting, but, I'm gonna. It's just an illogical holdover from my Windows days. But it's so easy for me to back my stuff up, why not? :D

EDIT: Ah, should've guessed he'd already be here.
  23. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    I was just gonna upgrade, but I might follow bankshot's advice.
  24. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    Just outside Boston, MA.
    Well for me it depends on whether I have my MacBook Pro by the time it releases, which is doubtful.

I have a question though: will Leopard run on a midrange G3? I have a 600 MHz G3 iBook with 640 MB of RAM. I know I couldn't use all the Intel optimized stuff, but since it's universal would I be able to run at least the PPC components? Every OS update has sped me up a bit starting with 10.2.
  25. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    ill be getting my macbook as soon as possible after the hardware revision. Ill do a clean install though, anyone know if its possible to slipstream updates onto a new install disc?