iPad mini Will You Upgrade Your iPad Mini to Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TJ5921, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Will You Upgrade iPad Mini to Retina?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    77.2%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. macrumors regular

For current iPad mini users. Do you plan on upgrading to an iPad Mini 2 with retina? I know I will.

2. macrumors regular

the same, i will also upgrade it

3. macrumors 68000

Oh yeah

4. macrumors 68020

ASAP, taking a loss as usual.

5. macrumors 6502a

ScottNWDW

If and when they do come out with an iPad mini with Retina display I will most surely buy one, Already started putting money aside for when that time comes in fact.

I love my current mini and use it more than I ever did my original iPad or iPad 3, so for me I feel I already have gotten my money's worth out of my mini.

6. macrumors regular

No. Apple could and should put retina in mini in the first place. This is how they are reselling the same product twice.

7. macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Nope not until my Mini dies or I can no longer upgrade the ios. Retina is waaaaay over rated. I have it on my iP5 and iPad 4. Not that big of a deal. It seems the only place retina is a real big deal is here on this forum. Most buyers/people in the real world don't care and don't see a difference. Yea I see a difference but it's not a huge make or break difference.

8. macrumors G3

Something like this. Retina won't affect what I'm using my iPad Mini for.

9. macrumors 68040

jjk454ss

Not just for Retina, but if its faster(processor, more ram) I probably would. But not if its thicker like the Retina iPad. I love how thin the mini is.

10. macrumors 6502

Tikatika

When I am using my Mini, I think, "Nah, no need whatsoever to upgrade."

When I am having an eye party with my retina iPad 3, I think, "Oh absolutely, retina will make the Mini perfect."

Add a Not Sure category to the vote :)

11. macrumors 6502

Depends if it takes a performance hit or doubles in weight.

12. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Because the 1mm difference in thickness between the iPad 2 and 3 is so noticeable. People wouldn't even have noticed if it wasn't on the spec sheet. The only noticeable difference is weight and even that's hardly an issue.

13. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'm going to keep my current iPad mini for quite some time. So to answer the question, no.

14. macrumors member

Retina is the only thing I miss from my iPad 3 - so yes!
    -Shaown

15. macrumors newbie

Sure will, eBay or donate the first one..

16. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a definite maybe. I'm happy with the mini, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy a retina mini.

The reasons are cost, form factor and battery life. Will the retina be priced higher then the current mini? I think the mini is a bit high now, I'm not willing to spend even more. Will it be thicker to hold a larger battery due to the need for higher powered cpu/gpu?

Basically what I'm saying is not knowing how apple will design and market it, plays into my decision to buy it.

17. macrumors 6502

Absolutely. Assuming the mini 2 will have a retina display.

18. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I would upgrade, definitely. I havent really been following the latest iPad mini rumors. Is there a speculated announcement or release date for the iPad mini 2?

19. macrumors 6502a

I voted even though I don't have a mini. Sorry everyone, it was an accident.

:(

20. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You know what you have to do now - go out and buy a mini so your vote will mean something :p

21. macrumors 68020

kazmac

Would rather not do it this year

and if that means more weight/less battery life, I'll defnitely wait.

I enjoy my mini, granted I am not reading heavily on it but as I've said elsewhere the only time I've really noticed the Retina display is on the 15 rMBPs. If they can keep the weight, battery life and cut the glare, well, perhaps I will upgrade.

But for now, I'm golden.

22. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Every device I have here with me right now (iPad 3, iPhone 5, 5th gen touch, and nexus 4) all have "retina" (for lack of an easier word) class screen and going back to the mini from these devices is very jarring. Not only is it the dpi but the colors as well. The mini looks much more washed out. All that being said I won't be upgrading to a new mini until this one no longer does what I need It to do. Given the fact that it launched with nearly two year old hardware and a paltry 512mb of ram I'm not expecting much more than a year out of it.

23. macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

No for the same reasons. Besides, my eyeballs aren't 20/20 and I wouldn't notice any difference.