William Huang Video on iTunes, o..m...g

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Aug 17, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

This guy has a music video on iTunes, his chepo version of we are the champions. Talk about more than 15 min of fame. :rolleyes:

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'm almost ashamed to call myself a U.C. Berkeley student...

3. nizz macrumors regular

i'm almost ashamed to be chinese!

4. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

dude, he's embarassing all the civil engineers out there.

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Meh theres worse on iTMS but anyways hes an embarrasament to the EAST BAY

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats awesome, don't know what you guys are talking about.

iJon

7. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Heck, I'm almost embarassed to be half Korean.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    that is sad very very very very very very very sad

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I guess he is just an embarrassment to the world ;). Well, personally, I think it is great that he is following his heart and has found success despite his lack of talent. But I wouldn't want to listen to him for more than.... 30 seconds.

Maybe we will see a collaboration from Mr. Hung. :D

scem0

11. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Okay, as a vocalist myself, I will say this and risk being flamed...

He actually has a pretty nice voice! I think he could sound a lot better if he took voice lessons.

However, just so you don't think I'm crazy, he doesn't know how to put any real inflection/emphasis in his singing, which is what makes is hard to listen to. The music doesn't really go anywhere; there's no forward push to it. Likewise, he doesn't really have any facial involvement and looks like a robot singing.

I'd be curious to hear some of you guys sing...I'm sure that all of you guys sound absolutely wonderful and wouldn't mind humming a few bars to be put on iTMS ;)

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

13. bigsteve3 macrumors member

I must admit that it is really funny that he has done a full music video with the works (backup singers/dancers, colored lights, effects). It doens't seem to match his appearance or personality at all...it's really quite humorous!

-S

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think with William Hung it's definitely a case of laughing at you rather than laughing with you. It's a little sad really as I'm sure he's a nice guy but I'm sure he doesn't mind, he's too busy laughing all the way to the bank and doing all the things he's only dreamed of doing ;)

15. goodwill macrumors regular

16. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Huang's being made a fool of, rich or not...

I CAN sing better than him, but you know what my problem is with this? Actually, I have more than one problem.

A) This guy can't sing or dance or anything (sorry, I disagree with you), and yet he's getting paid a whole lotta money. You say don't complain or criticize unless you can do better? You don't have to be a brain surgeon to know if your doctor screwed something up while operating on you.

B) This guy's getting lots money for acting like an idiot. If he's going to want MY money, he's going to have to give me a product worthy of it.

C) He's being made a fool of. Sure he's getting rich, but he's sacrificing his self respect for it. I think it says something bad about my American culture when mainstream media pays someone gobs of money to embarrass themselves -- and we take pleasure in mocking him. Something's wrong here. (I think the whole American Idol thing is ridiculous, but that's another thread.)

17. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow that looked like a music video took $1 to make!

18. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Did you listen to his whole album?

Elton John, The Eagels, it's all there.

Not to be mean, but I haven't laughed this hard in YEARS.

19. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Exactly.

20. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Actually, I completely agree with you! The self-respect thing does bother me quite a bit, because he knows that people are just laughing at him all over the world. I also have issues with American Idol, primarily because it has to do with style and looks rather than actual singing talent.

As you said above, he is getting paid. I wonder how much? With the state of American pop culture, I'm sure it's some amount that is completely disproportionate to his talent.

Sorry if I sounded all high and mighty about you guys' singing. I'm sure there are genuinely talented singers on these boards. However, I've heard some of my American-Idol-watching friends bash various singers, and then they turn around and sound like a dying cat when they sing :O

-S

21. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

It really sucks that Hung thinks people actually respect him. They're really just laughing at him.

I also think the music industry is going to hell when a guy like this can make money and multiple albums. Only in America, right? ;) As for the people who actually like Hung's music, what does that say about the quality of today's music? Britney Whores and the rest of the sorry pop "musicians" must suck so bad that Hung actually sounds good. WTF?

22. nizz macrumors regular

just some random information :

William Hung spent a lot of his money and time to go back to his country, Hong Kong, to star in some movies.

he was under a WHOLE LOT of criticism by almost everybody. the one man that actually stood up for him, is ironically chow yun fat, who absolutely blows at his movies.

im wishing to god that he won't be able to make any money off the chinese community from these movies. ~ i generally don't like to hope for people to fail, but COME ON, ITS WILLIAM HUNG OFF AMERICAN IDOL , WTF!

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that makes me ashamed to be a musician of any sort, but i would actually buy that song. not for its goodness but because it just is so freakin funny!

oh, and i *love* the rocket man dance mix (short version). almost as good as elton john's original, but for a different reason.

24. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Anyone notice the Karaoke Night sign behind him? :rolleyes:

25. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

This makes me embarrassed to even eat at Panda Express!