William Rehnquist, Supreme Court justice passes away

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Sep 3, 2005.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Apparently this just happened and Wikipedia was the only source I could find on it so far. I'm sure more will come. Figured it would turn political anyway so might as well post it here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rehnquist

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

CNN has it as a breaking story.

this will certainly be interesting. ideally, the GOP and Dems would get together and agree and two candidates who could be confirmed simultaneously. the country certainly needs some bipartisanship right now.

but i predict bush will undermine that straightaway by appointing scalia as new chief. (is that how it works, or must he be nominated?)

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The Chief Justice has to be confirmed, even if it's one of the Associate Justices being promoted.

EDIT: Which means that if Scalia is actually to become the new CJotUSSC, we have THREE confirmations to come here... one for him, one for Roberts, and one for whomever fills the Rehnquist vacancy.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9194092/ has the story as well. You know, I didn't always agree with the man, but it's still sad to see him go, especially like this. I would hope people don't ruin this thread with their partisan politics, but we all know where this is headed.

I am reminded of a quote though: to the living we owe respect, to the dead we only owe the truth.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i truly hope that ushers in a new era of bipartisanship. and if it doesn't, then i hope the dems give 'em hell.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Sad to see him go. Hopefully the extremists on both sides are silenced by moderates who want to do what is good for the country...

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

hmmmm...two judges to be replaced in one summer.....interesting.
    I'm sure this came as no surprise to anyone. This guy was always in the hospital with his body guards. I'm in a way, eager, because now we have new fresh and young judges on the Supreme Court. Slowly all the old "geezers" (pardon me) are getting out.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i think that extermits( most, of couse there are some who are selfish ) what what they think is the ''right'' thing for the ecountry

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Looks like Pat Robertson's prayer has come true, albeit not in the way he may have intended.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats funny , this is the most Partisan administration i have seen in a long time. They dont work well with anyone except far rights in their own party.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Say goodbye to Roe v. Wade.

This may not be as bad as some people think. As a "pro-choicer" myself, I'm concerned, but there is a possibility that once Roe v. Wade is overturned, we can put an end to all this partisan bickering in the supreme court and work things out at the state level. In the short run, it will mean that millions of women won't have local access to proper health care, but the reaction to that in the long run may be a loosening of restrictions even in Red states.

13. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Maybe Pat Robertson will regret this comment and keep his political thoughts to himself from here on out. One can only hope...

14. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Hehe. Yuck.

That's not fair, actually. I don't agree with most of his opinions, nor his judicial philosophy, but Justice Scalia truly is brilliant. One need only look at his dissent in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. His opinion in that case is wonderful, one of those that will become an oft-quoted, quintessential American writing. That case was muddled, four different opinions written: Thomas wrote his own, O'Connor wrote for herself, Rehnquist, Kennedy, and Souter, Ginsburg wrote for herself and Breyer, voting with the latter group, but agreeing with the opinion Scalia wrote for himself and Stevens. Muddled, all of it, but Scalia wrote a clear, concise opinion blasting everyone for neglecting the simplicity of the situation - Hamdi is an American citizen, civilian courts are in operation, thus he ought be tried their, not illegally detained and tried before a military tribunal. His writing is heartening and inspiring. Go Scalia.

But not for Chief Justice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bush took the same route Reagan did, appointed a controversial current member, in this case Thomas, to the Chief position, causing such a ruckus over his promotion that nobody notices his appointment of an extremist outsider (Reagan did this with Rehnquist and Scalia - Such a fight emerged over Rehnquist and his purported latent racism that Senators didn't have the fight left in them to thoroughly investigate and question Scalia.

I worry that Bush would elevate Priscilla Owen or Janice Rogers Brown to Chief Justice, but I realized, shortly after hearing of Rehnquist' death that, whomever he appoints, it's unlikely to be anyone more conservative than him. We may even get lucly and end up with another Earl Warren. :)

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh I think he could find someone more conservative than Scalia. In fact, I would assume that's the goal.

16. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Roe isn't going to be overturned. It was at a 6-3 split, so worst case scenario is that it will go to a 5-4 split now. Also, the two new justices, whoever they turn out to be, are not going to start their legacy with such controversial decisions.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think new justices get to decide what's on the docket...

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Roe V Wade was originally a 7-2 split and as recent as the early 90s it was now at a 5-4 split for abortion laws.

at least from what i read at wikipedia

19. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

No, but if it makes it on the docket, they get to vote on it.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush can't appoint Thomas as Chief Justice, because then he'd be forced to actually speak, and we know how much he hates to do that.

21. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Roe was reaffirmed in 1992 on a 6-3 split. Kennedy switched sides in 2000 on a NB law prohibiting certain mid-term abortions, but he hasn't given any indication that he has switched on the overall right to abortion.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Chief Justice Rehnquist dies

I don't consider this to be a political issue on this the day of his death announcement. Chief Rehniquist deserves a time of mourning and respect. I think that it was his desire to die as Chief Justice and no former, well your wish was granted. My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he now now in peace, his death wasn't an easy one.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/04/chief_justice_rehnquist_dies/

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/04/chief_justice_known_for_potent_intellect/

Please, I beg of every one to show respect to an important man.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree Chief Justice Rehniquist deserves our respect (politics aside) as he was a very important figure in U.S. history over the past years. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family. His battle with cancer was unpleasant to say the least, hopefully he is in a better place.

24. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I just don't believe that George gets to appoint TWO of them.

Time to get on a plane to London. I don't know if I like London, I've never been there, but if I like it, I could live there. Haha.

I don't mean for this to sound insensitive as I do of course respect the man's life, but I didn't like his policies, in general.

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

You could always try Canada ;)

It is unfortunate that a very unpleasant form of cancer is what killed him.