William Shatner's "Has Been"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by agreenster, Oct 12, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

This one of the strangest CD's done by one of the strangest people.

But it doesnt suck quite as much as I thought. He actually has some things to say.

www.shatnerhasbeen.com

2. brap macrumors 68000

I think this has been posted before (although it may have been elsewhere). It's a new version of the site, the old one used to have full versions of all tracks on the whole album - including the Shatner/Folds cover of Pulp's 'common people'.

There we go - original thread here.

3. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

You know, sometimes I wonder wtf is wrong with search engines sometimes. I did a search for william +shatner +has +been and it came up with nothing! Why the hell is that?

Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Remember when he did the dramatic reading of Rocket Man? Well, they made fun of it in Family Guy so well. Shatner gets owned on that show more times than i can even fathom.

5. mcarvin macrumors regular

Doesn't matter

You're all gonna die, just like that guy from the Stones.

/those who don't know, track 3 explains it.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't know anything about his singing ability. He is doing a good job an elder in the legal profession on his new show "Boston Legal."

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I heard "Common People" 2 weeks ago in a car, and a friend and I couldn't stop laughing when it was played. He doesn't even sing! He just narrates.....something about common people. i thought it was a joke until I realized it was Will Shatner's new album.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think he, and people like Adam West, realize that they can either sit around reliving the good old days, try to revitalize their careers by reinventing themselves as serious actors, or be part of the joke rather than be laughed at. Good for them for doing new things just because they can, commercials and cameos notwithstanding. I hope they never retire.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Adam West is totally nuts, I think. Shatner has done an album before and its painful, as far as I'm concerned - that one song, Mr. Tambourine Man....eugh!

This isn't as bad, but its still not singing - probably best he doesn't. Although he does have a good sense of humor and will make fun of himself, which is good. As long as he's having fun, good for him.

D

10. brap macrumors 68000

It's supposed to be here (Realvideo link). Can't get it to work though.

11. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Common People is actually a cover of a song by Pulp. THAT is what makes it funny. Can't get parody or covers if you don't know the original.

12. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

In his acting prowess, much like Steven Segal, Bill Shatner is a King among men. Wait a minute... Segal also has made a foray into music with his own rock band... hmmm. Craptacular actors of the world unite and take over.

Long Live Phat Shatner!

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

the original was actually quite good and the cover makes it seem so much better!

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Adam West is nuts, but he's hilarious as a result. l Iove him in Family Guy, and it makes it even more funny that he agrees to voice his own character like that! Some of the things they have him say are just unreal... :cool:

William Shatner just finished making a fake movie for Spike TV, which will be aired soon as a new "fake" reality TV show, a la Joe Schmo - I'm not a fan of reality TV, but this scam might be worth watching just because Shatner's in it! :cool:

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't even try to compare Segal to Shatner - Shatner is far superior and could kick his ass! :p :cool:

16. toaster_oven macrumors regular

i agree- shatner has definitely moved beyond captain kirk... he'll probably be remembered more for his self-parody than anything else.

i'm not a big fan of actors, musicians or artists who take themselves too seriously. he's just having a good time... take that video for instance... if he took himself seriously, it would just be sad...

-TO