Williams F1 sign engine deal with Toyota

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AlBDamned, Jul 27, 2006.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Williams F1 team have confirmed their three-year engine deal with Toyota.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Sounds good, they do make good engines. I hope Rosberg beats both real Toyotas every race next season ;) I hate Toyota team so much after what they did to Mika Salo back in the day.

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Oops, sorry!

Netdog has provided the BBC story I read it on.

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Williams and Cosworth were looking strong at the beginning of the year. Toyota's big problem seemed to be aero so maybe Williams will be able to design a good chassis for the engine?

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, that was pretty lame. Dumping both your drivers after your first year is STUPID.

Anyways, how long until we see a Williams tuned Corolla hatch?

6. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

LOL like the Williams Renault Megane. I used to love Williams - especially when they had Villeneuve and the Renault engines. Haven't had an alround good engine since.

But do you think this could be Toyota pulling out? Cheaper than running your own team, with all the prestige associated. Or maybe this is the "every engine supplier must support two teams"-thing...:confused:

EDIT: That would be Wiliams Renault Laguna of course...:eek:

7. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Renault pulled out of F1 entirely, for a few years at least. I think Williams downward spiral was not holding on to Hill, which resulted in the loss of Newey.

I read that about Toyota, possible future pullout. They seem to be making some progress but if they don't score a podium this season I could see them pulling out.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It would be quite embarassing for Toyota in '07 if Williams out-finishes them with their own engines...

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Only as a direct manufacturer. Williams (Mechachrome 97-99), Benetton (Playlife 97 until bought by Renault), BAR, and Arrows (Supertec, 99) all ran rebranded Renault engines.

10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I wonder how many races were won (or finished) by cars running those rebranded engines. Was Renault doing any development (even on paper) or was it all third party on those engines?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Won: 0. Williams won in '97, but not again until 2001 with BMW. Arrows never won a GP, Prior to Hungary '03, Benetton/Renault last won in 97, with Gerhard Berger at the German GP, and BAR/Honda still has not won a race, even with as good of a chance as they had in '04.

Also, for better info on Playlife/Mecachrome/Supertec engines.

12. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Thanks for the link. Somewhat confusing, I guess Renault was able to tell its shareholders "look were not blowing money on F1" while keeping their foot in the door? :confused:

13. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I thought Newey left because he couldn't get chief designer at Williams 'cause Patrick Head is a part shareholder of Williams.

Good race yeasterday eh'?:)

14. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Interesting Wikipedia article about, I just remember when he left there was a lot of talk about Hills sacking and him being disenchanted with Williams. Perhaps it was the last straw?

Didn't actually see the race but I like the results.