Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I have two computers w/ Boot Camp installed. One works great, the other not so much. It "sees" my Wi-Fi network and connects, but it will not connect to the Internet. Internet has worked on this machine before just fine. The problems started when I had to reset my Airport base station.

I have tried to "repair" the connection, but I just get a message back that it can't get an IP address.

DHCP is on, drivers installed, etc., etc. I'm bashing my head in on this. I'm sure there is a simple solution but I'm not that good w/ Windows.

Problem is on a MBP, 10.5.4, Boot Camp 2.1., Win XP SP2.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
IP, but no Internet

This is typically due to a corrupt Winsock or LAN controller that is set as a bridge. Download an app called WinsockXPFix (free download) and run it. It should do more than the Windows networking repair as it replaces the registry keys and .dll files associated with the Windows XP Winsock.

This should also remove the bridged networking if you happened to somehow set that up by accident. :D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Typically windows requires restart in certain situations of no network connectivity.

(No it's not OSX which change and auto-detects networks properly).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Tried WinsockXPFix to no avail. This is really driving me nuts. Any other ideas? Man I hate Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.