win NT on VPC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jummyu, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jummyu macrumors newbie

i'm thinking of saving myself some money and buying VPC without the OS since i have copy of NT. has anyone tried this?
    no windoze flames please.
    thanks
    jpu

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I've run Win2k with decent results. I would think the latest rev of NT should work; they are pretty close kin. I don't think you'll find too many people running NT, these days. One problem, I believe, is that NT predates USB, so you wouldn't be able to gain access to USB devices on the Mac, other than the keyboard and mouse.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yep, works just fine.

In fact, the fact that NT4 has relatively light system requirements means it runs comparitively fast, though I can't remember if the VPC extensions work with it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I played around with Bochs and NT4, just one more NT4-related issue than an emulation issue, but if you have an NT4 install disc, you're going to have to do a lot of patching. It seemed to me that in order to get most current software to install on it, I needed to pretty much upgrade all the way to SP 6A in order to run much of anything.

But yeah, NT4 does have pretty light requirements, which is good. :)

5. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

nt4 sp6 works ok, a lot of the latest stuff wont run on it, corel 12, photoshop cs ect ect ect.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Indeed, it's amazing the number of updates required. What I always thought was the funniest, though, was the fact that the version of IE that shipped with NT4 (2.x or something) is so old Microsoft's own site won't let it in to download the updates you need to get a newer browser.

Netscape's site, on the other hand, would still allow it to connect and download a version of that browser, so you literally had to download and install Netscape if you wanted to upgrade IE.

I always thought that was particularly sad. It also illustrates the unwise nature of tying your entire upgrade mechanism to your overly integrated web browser. At least Software Update doesn't require a browser at all to function, so it'll keep working as long as Apple leaves it there.