Win XP internet help please!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sean7512, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    So, I have a year old Gateway Laptop with these specs...

Intel Centrino Processor 1.6 ghz
    80 GB HDD (2 partitions - XP Pro and Vista RC1)
    1.5 GB Ram

I am a Comp Sci major, but for some reason cannot fix my issue. Anyways, it refuses to stay connected to the internet or it is EXTREMELY slow. It is connected wirelessly, and I know for a fact that it is not the network, as our wireless iMac works perfectly fine! Here is a typical scenario...

1. turn on the computer (xp or vista, it makes no diff)

2. internet works fine for first 5 min

3. all of a sudden, no page loads

4. i check the network connections, and it says it is still connected with a good signal

5. after 10 or 15 minutes, internet works fine again

6. internet only stays on for 3 min this time..

It continues looping until the internet is off completely, and only a restart or a "Repair" will fix it. But after 5 minutes, same old crap! I do not understand what is going on. There is no virus or spyware on it at all, so I am open to ANY suggestions!
  2. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    Try to isolate the problem if it is due to the OS or the browser. You can try using command prompt to ping a well-known address or switch to different browsers.

If you have more than one internet connection (eg, wireless+ethernet), try switching between them.

After that, you can try going into your task manager and check for any processes saturating your connection or cpu.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Excellent idea. See how it goes with ethernet so we can work out if it's a wireless issue or an issue with your network settings. :)
  4. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Sweet, thanks for the suggestions. I will try them once I get home tonight, and report back. I really hope to have it solved by tomorrow, so I have a internet in Florida... Thanks again, I'll let you guys know
  5. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Well, I have been using my laptop with a Ethernet wire, and it works just as it should. No slowdowns and never disconnects me from AIM or the internet. So, whats next? I guess it is either a hardware problem, a drive problem, or a setting for my preferred network. I'm gonna test my computer at my g/f's wifi network, and see if my problems are also on her network. If the same problems arise over there, then I'll know that it has to be a driver or hardware problem. Any other suggestions in the meantime?
  6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Try changing the authentication method, and of course hunt for latest drivers for your wifi card.
  7. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    What is the difference between them, I actually have no idea :eek:

My choices are:

The default is "Open" so that is what I have been using. Also, there is no encryption on my network. I can't believe that I have no idea what these different methods are, especially since I'm a Comp Science major...
  8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Ah OK... you're already running on open (the above seems to point to a fatal lack of interest in your major, but I guess the same really goes for almost every degree-holder I've ever met who turn out to be hopeless in their supposedly qualified fields). Well, that's that out of the equation then.

If new drivers don't cure it, I guess it's a faulty card or a dodgy antenna connection on the laptop.
  9. MartyMoe macrumors regular

Any luck with new drivers?

This may or may not apply, but sometimes I have seen that wireless connections get dropped at various times when the settings get corrupted. With a number of different computers (I work at a school) I have gone into the Wireless profiles and deleted them, thus forcing them to be discovered again. (I right-click the connection to get Properties, then go to the Wireless Network tab, then I trash all of the profiles. Some of the kids I see here can have 15 or 20 profiles saved, and it seems to clog it up.)

I don't know if that applies in your case, but I am throwing it out there, for what its worth...

Do you have another wireless card you can test, to see if it is a card or antenna issue?
  10. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Wow, I actually forgot all about my post :eek: Anyways, I have tried your suggestion of removing the profile many times to no avail. I did download the newest drivers that were on Gateway's website for my laptop. It worked! I was soo happy, that I guess that I forgot about this thread. I am not sure why the other drivers went bad, because they were fine and then all of a sudden stopped working. Anyways, it is all back to normal, and it prevents me from being laptop-less from sending it in for repairs :)

Thanks to all who helped, I appreciate it!