Win XP -> Tiger Thunderbird Migration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimbres, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jimbres macrumors newbie

Has anyone successfully migrated Mozilla Thunderbird from Win XP to Tiger? Following suggestions that I found on the Thunderbird support forum, I've (1) installed T-bird on my PB & allowed it to create a new profile, (2) created an account, (3) after quitting T-bird, copied my profile from my PC to my PB & (4) restarted T-bird, hoping that it would find the old address book, folders, filters, e-mail, etc. So far, it hasn't. I've also posted this question to the T-bird support forum. Any ideas?

Although I'd prefer to continue to use Thunderbird, I'd consider Mail as an alternative. What's the best strategy for importing e-mail & addresses from T-bird to Mail?

Many thanks for any ideas & suggestions.

2. stagmeister macrumors regular

I used Thunderbird on my PC, but now that I have a mac, I've switched to Mail. The reason for this is that Thunderbird is only OK, it's got nothing that Mail hasn't - especially with Mail 2.0 having virtual folders. The thing that really pushed me to switch to Mail instead of TB was the Spotlight integration - it is so awesome to be able to search my mail with spotlight!

In any case, how did I migrate my mail? I installed TB, and copied my profile from my PC over to the TB profiles directory on the mac. Then I opened Mail, went to Import, and clicked "Other." It then let me look around for the .mbox files. I just chose the "Inbox" file, and it imported all my other mailboxes too... convenient. :D

Jason