Winamp 5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I just dld winamp 5 for windows and i gotta say its amazing. As much as I love itunes this whole new streaming video feature is sooo cool. Internet TV in its infancy but still. Anyway, for those hwo havent seen it, its like the iTunes internet radio section except its called internet TV and streams video over. Very snazzy - thers a 24 hour futurama channel that im watching.

never thought id be gushing over a windows app but this is just too cool. Its nice to see winamp isnt just gonna stagnate and die. hope now itunes will start including some of these nifty new features.

love to hear ur input!

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Interesting. Streaming video. Apple should be looking along these lines with iTunes 5. MPEG4 needs to be pushed just as much as AAC does.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hate playing the waiting game - iTunes 5 will no doubt be better then Winamp 5, but right now, winamp 5 is the only thing offering the streaming video - ahh shucks hate it when that player has a small edge over ours. granted they dont got the music store but still

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I remember when there was an old OS 9 alpha of winamp 1 or 2, that was cool. Very buggy as being cool though.

5. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

iTunes 5 is suppose to debut in Jan.
    Well thats what all the rumors have said.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I wonder what it will include, I don't think that iTunes will jump to streaming video. Winamp has supported video for a while, but iTunes has never supported any kind of video.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That's what I use on my TAM. I mount my PM's HD, then drag the files I want over to Winamp's playlist and voila- instant jukebox :)

Quite buggy though, and lacks any features.

8. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

iTunes 5 is suppose to be updated so it can access all new iTMS opening next yr.

I also have feeling we should be nearing 500k now in trks on iTMS so that should be announced soon as well.

9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Got winamp five a while ago now. don't know what heppend to four:rolleyes: but it's a huge improvement over 3. I use it exclusivly for all media except DVD's, great for converting formats etc.

10. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking I'll start using Winamp as well - I've been thoroughly impressed by the new version - if you've never seen it..you should give it a try.

11. Independence macrumors regular

Winamp 3 + Winamp 2 = Winamp 5.

I don't mean to sounds rude but how could you not have seen that by now?

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it was called macamp. but nothing beats soundjam mp, i wish i still had my os x copy just to play with again.

iJon

13. i_wolf macrumors regular

thing is if itunes started including video and all that it would probably mean a hybrid quicktime, itunes app.
    Having said that when you access the itunes music store you can stream music video's so obviously there is already a strong tie in with a quicktime component so i wouldn't imagine that it would take them long to get tv streaming channels working.
    On another note, i kinda like the simplicity of the way apple has their apps organised. small , simple and do their job really well currently. Not sure if i would like an all in one bloated media player.... i prefer small elegant simple dedicated apps myself. but that tv feature is pretty cool.... maybe quicktime tv... where the air soprano's, 24, futurama, family guy eps etc... that could really work! ;)
    Maybe apple will release iMediaPlayer or something of the sorts ... who knows.
    It would be nice if they ported winamp though to os x. it would be another nice option.

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm pretty sure it was just WinAmp - Mac, and MacAmp was different, but it really doesn't matter. I really liked some of the music players back then, there was a really good selection, but then with iTunes there was no realy market for the other mac jukeboxes. All I can remember was how terrible MusicMatch Jukebox was for mac....urg.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Just Installed Winamp 5

I take my comments back.

I think iTunes should stick to music. Winamp 5 is good but getting a Jukebox because it plays video is like going to a Steak House and ordering chicken.

You also cannot highlight more than one artist and edit Tags. So if I see a misspelled name of a single artist I can't edit them into one Tag as easily. I'm a stickler for tag editing and that's a must.

I've noticed that if you click on another link and then go back to your playlist W5 doesn't remember your location and it resets to the default global list.

Also you must click the Artist in the Browse field someties twice to let the software know you want to select that artist.

There's no embedded eq settings nor can you choose when to start songs to edit out unwanted intros.

I haven't dug much different but W5 looks great on a bulletted sheet of features but this app still cannot match another "free" Jukebox iTunes in useability IMO.

Video is nice(actually W5 doesn't play alot of my video files) but there are other apps that can do that just fine. I'm concerned about managing and playing music files. I haven't even mentioned the killer networking features of iTunes.

Great job Nullsoft. Can't wait to see what Apple has in store for the next iTunes upgrade!

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you are probably right, i just remember macamp and i assumed that was the versiont we were talking about.

iJon

17. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I just got done playing w/ Winamp 5, pretty cool. Is there any way to see any of the streaming video stations on a mac? I really like the demoscene channel... I know there are some streaming channels for MS media player...

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

this really isn't true.

which rumors have said so?

arn

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I remember Winamp sucking pretty badly. I had to convert back to Winamp 2 in order to prevent it from crashing. Don't know if W5 is as unstable. I don't care if it allows you to stream video. In a matter of months, every player will have this feature, but the player must not crash.

And I don't see why the "recommended system requirements" of Winamp 5 is so high. Its a music player that happens to stream video when needed, and yet they recommend a P4 1.5GHz computer to use it. That's quite a high bar to set by any company. Usually its much lower, especially when the software is only meant to "play" music and video, not "make" music and video.

My PC is a 650MHz comp with 256MB of RAM. :eek:

20. Independence macrumors regular

I get an excessive amount of skipping in my music with Winamp5. It looks nice but it performs horribly. I'm not usually one to say this, but Windows Media Player 9 is a better player.