Winamp Streams on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by junior, Jan 3, 2005.

1. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Is there a software for the Mac that can use winamp streams?
    I currently have to use VPC but it is pretty slow.
    I'd love to try an alternative if it exists.
    Thanks

2. sgarringer macrumors regular

If they're standard MP3 streams they should be playable in iTunes, IIRC.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You remember correctly.

4. junior thread starter macrumors 6502a

junior

Sorry, forgot to say they are video streams.
    They are .nsv files I think.

5. sgarringer macrumors regular

Winamp plays video streams now? Wow, a lot of bloat since version 2...

6. junior thread starter macrumors 6502a

junior

Yeah, thanks kingjr3 but I've tried both vlc and mplayer. mplayer could only successfully get audio and vlc didn't really work.
    Surprisingly, these winamp only streams were really good when I tried them on a windows machine.
    Unfortunately, they're jumpy in Virtual PC. I cannot believe how awful VPC still is at handling media files. I can only imagine Microsoft doing this on purpose.

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Winamp 5 plays .nsv video streams. They are usually VP3 or VP6 video stream which can't be played on the mac, along with MP3 or Vorbis audio.

I still have my windows box for watching non-stop Love Hina. I couldn't find a way to do it on Mac.

8. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

umm winamp could do video streams since like verson 2.81. Basicly it beening doing them since it could start play any type of movie file. Winamp 3 was where it started to beable to do it but people did not like winamp 3 and well winamp 3 was full of bloated so they added the video stuff to winamp 2.

Winamp 5 is baiscly putting all the stuff that made winamp 2 great and hten adding the few extras winamp 3 had in it.

Winamp is still a less bloated program than itunes it takes up less hard drive space, use less system resorses then itunes, and can do more the itunes. (mind you itunes libary makes up for those weakness and is the main reason I use itunes over winamp)

9. junior thread starter macrumors 6502a

junior

Sorry, just bumping this thread back up again because I'm desperate to find a software that might play .nsv files. Just hoping someone might have an answer to this problem.
    Anyone?

10. enclave macrumors member

http://www.scvi.net/player.htm

If you follow the above link it says you can play those files with the mac player at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Why the hell would you want to do that anyway? There's so much anime out there that doesn't crap all over the original story :rolleyes:

12. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I prefer the Manga, however, having Love Hina in a window in the corner of my screen, just gives me something to look at if I'm bored. I made a space on my Firefox toolbar for it. The video window is set to Always on Top.

Oh, and I discovered that The Love Hina stream uses AAC for audio.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you want something productive to do when you're bored, you could always do my homework for me :D

Yeah, WinAmp has supported AAC since v5. Or something, I don't really pay attention to it ;)