Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Late 2013 rMBP 13 inch, running 10.11.2, Windows 10 and Winclone 5.5.

I have made Winclone images on two different dates, and attempted to restore them.

Both attempts appear to go completely according to textbook no error messages in log and on screen messages reporting success, but when trying to start from the restored Bootcamp partition the Mac boots straight to Apple. The logs include the words "make bootable"

I created the Bootcamp partition with Bootcamp Assistant, cancelling the windows install process, and using the partition BCA had created.

I tried selecting the start up disk with Startup Disk system pref and by the option+restart methods. Also tried resetting the NVRAM.

I have done many successful Winclone restores in the past over many years, but never tried it before with El Capitan and SIP. The support site implies that with WinClone 5.5, and Windows 10 and recent macs then SIP does not need to be disabled, but I have a hunch this is where the problem lies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have done many successful Winclone restores in the past over many years, but never tried it before with El Capitan and SIP. The support site implies that with WinClone 5.5, and Windows 10 and recent macs then SIP does not need to be disabled, but I have a hunch this is where the problem lies.

I've read it both ways. It certainly wouldn't hurt to go ahead and disable SIP and then attempt to restore the WinClone image. If it restores properly, you can always then re-enable SIP. I've disabled SIP several times in order to install special folder icons that are disallowed with SIP enabled. Once I finished the install, I re-enabled SIP.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I've read it both ways. It certainly wouldn't hurt to go ahead and disable SIP and then attempt to restore the WinClone image. If it restores properly, you can always then re-enable SIP. I've disabled SIP several times in order to install special folder icons that are disallowed with SIP enabled. Once I finished the install, I re-enabled SIP.

Thanks very much. I can try the restore with SIP disabled but of course the images were made with SIP enabled. But my gut says SIP is more likely to be a factor in the restore than the backup. I can't try this just yet.

I can't help feeling there would be more internet threads about this if it was a general problem.
[doublepost=1453195420][/doublepost]I should have said in the original post, that after selecting Bootcamp in the start up options and proceeding...it goes IMMEDIATELY to booting to the Mac. It is not as if it tries to boot Bootcamp, fails so boots to Mac. It is so immediate I don't believe it is even trying to boot windows. This is why I tried resetting NVRAM which often sorts out start up disk issues.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
What I didn't say in the OP which I now realise is important (after excellent support from Winclone) is that I was trying to restore Windows 10 after a logicboard replacement by Apple. They think this is probably the reason it won't boot. Although the new logicboard has been flashed with same serial as the old, Winclone support think the restore is akin to restoring to a different machine, which requires sysprep to be run on the old machine before making the Winclone image.

The other thing which Winclone support confirmed is that it is is necessary to disable SIP before restoring. If you try and restore without disabling you get a message that you need to. It is a bit of a mystery why I did not get this message.

I have now reinstalled Windows 10 on the repaired machine and tested Winclone by making an image, destroying the Bootcamp partition, recreating it and restoring. All worked perfectly including getting the message about SIP when I deliberately attempted a restore without disabling it.

I repeated the whole exercise on my other Mac with complete success, so my faith in Winclone is completely restored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.