Winclone: trouble making an image

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by emma87, Dec 21, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Until recently, I could make an image of my bootcamp partition with Winclone w/o trouble.

I have currently Lion and Winclone 2.3.3 and I cannot manage to make an image, can someone help me on the matter? The log is posted at the bottom.

Thank you in advance.:D

Winclone Log:
    99.93 percent completed
    100.00 percent completed
    Accounting clusters ...
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916433 (0xa69251): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916434 (0xa69252): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916435 (0xa69253): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916436 (0xa69254): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916437 (0xa69255): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916438 (0xa69256): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916439 (0xa69257): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916440 (0xa69258): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 10916441 (0xa69259): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Cluster accounting failed at 21194498 (0x1436702): extra cluster in $Bitmap
    Totally 11 cluster accounting mismatches.
    ERROR: Filesystem check failed! Windows wasn't shutdown properly or inconsistent
    filesystem. Please run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE.
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" -f -f -O /dev/disk3 "/dev/disk0s4" 1>&2 is 256

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" -f -f -O /dev/disk3 "/dev/disk0s4" 1>&2 did not complete successfully
    cleaning up: Mounting Disk
    Volume BOOTCAMP on /dev/disk0s4 mounted
    Wed Dec 21 18:25:39 CET 2011

P.S. I ran chkdsk and it doesn't change anything.

2. Huntn, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

macrumors G3

Huntn

I've been using Winclone 2.2 before the start of the year without issue. Now I'm getting errors too. Without changing anything else I downloaded v2.3 (the last free version) which is now tough to find. Most of the mirrors direct you to the new paid version 3.0. However I found a copy here. It downloaded, installed, and is running a clone of my bootcamp partition as I speak. :) I'll report back if there are any problems. Note, I am using Snow Leopard. For Lion you need v3.

3. macrumors member

Winclone

Thanks for that link! I too have Winclone 2.2 on Snow Leopard. Haven't dared try imaging from "new" (hand-me-down) laptop yet, so I'm eagerly awaiting your results (even w/o problems.) What I'm especially interested in is if it Restored OK.

4. macrumors G3

Huntn

Yes it worked in that version 2.3 is running on Snow Leopard and created a backup! However, I'm only going to know how this program restores once my feet are in the fire and I have too. I don't want to try a restore until there is no other choice. :)

5. macrumors member

Thank you! Nothing ventured... as they say. I will try it later (no more time just now) on my "botched" XP on this machine and if the restore works I will re-clone my old "unbotched" Windows XP Pro installation (don't have the XP disc with me to do a re-install) on another, lesser, machine and restore it to this one. I'd have to update it first, though so it's really going to take some time...

6. macrumors G3

Huntn

Please report the results and quote me so I get a notification. :):)

7. macrumors 6502a

You ran chkdsk with options /X /F ?

8. macrumors member

Winclone 2.3 image

Will do. I hope before your feet get too hot...

9. macrumors member

Done and it worked

Done; It worked. I'm now on my second backup with 2.3.3. So far so good.

Sorry it took me so long to report. I had trouble finding this thread again...

10. macrumors G3

Huntn

Thanks much! :):)

11. macrumors member

Oops!

Oops--not so fast. Sorry. I made the "mistake" of overwriting the backup that had once worked as a restore. (Didn't think it was a mistake at the time...) Now I can't make the new one restore at all. It seems I neglected to restart twice after a chkdsk /f before I used the new version of Winclone. Why that should make a difference I don't know. Of course, the old version which I had saved won't restore it either. Once you make a mistake...
    So now, after all manner of trying to resuscitate my bootcamped Windows XP Pro SP3 (my original XP disc is too far away to consider a re-install or even repair, which didn't work from a slipstreamed SP2 disc) I've resorted to cloning the not-up-to-date BootCamp installation on my old Macbook (using version 2.2) to an external USB drive. That's still in the process of running--and I have kept the "failed" clone, so if you or somebody else have/has ideas on how to resurrect it I'd welcome them.

12. macrumors G3

Huntn

Unfortunately that is beyond my technical knowledge. :( I take the time to make backups, but in the back of my mind wonder if they will be there for me if I ever need them...

13. macrumors member

All's well that ends well...

Just make sure you have a viable backup by running chkdsk /f (or /x) and restarting twice (ahem, time consuming, I know) before you do the cloning. Well worth it, as I just learned. :D
    (I had to re-activate, re-install the drivers and re-update to get it working this time--even a re-install takes its sweet time.) Also, I would suggest having two alternating backups if you can, and not foolishly overwrite the old one like I did.

----------

I hope you're reading [my] exchange with Huntn! I hope it helps.

14. macrumors 6502

I never had any luck using the older "freeware" (<version 3), but I can tell you the new version 3 works flawlessly with both imaging and restoring. I've used it twice now with 100% success.

It's no longer free, but the $20.00 investment was well worth saving time, IMO.