Windex as a screen cleaner?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JefferyLebowski, Sep 30, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2008
    Anyone else use Windex to clean the screen of your touch/iphone? I saw someone make reference to this in a post a few weeks ago, so I tried and I am very impressed. The only thing that I have noticed is if you dont completely wipe it clean, your screen will not be as touch sensitive. Is windex as safe option? Like I said, if I wipe it clean, it is as clean as a whistle.
  2. macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2008
    This is what I've been telling people for ages.

This goes for the people who are spending $20 on a bottle of stuff to clean their iMac screen as well.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2008
    I probably heard it from you

I probably heard it from you then. LOL. Thanks for the advice!
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2008
    Why is it necessary to get liquids involved. Simply clean the screen with the supplied cloth.
  5. macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    i would not use windex on any screen that is
    1)not glass
    2) has a protective coating of somesort (like anti-glare or something)
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2008

While the cloth is a very handy cleaner, it doesnt completly clean the screen of smudges. It just 'buffs them out' as opposed to completely getting rid of them.
  7. macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2008
    Might I suggest avoiding the use of your Touch after eating fried chicken or french fries as a possible solution to your problem? :D
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2008
    "Might I suggest avoiding the use of your Touch after eating fried chicken or french fries as a possible solution to your problem? "

I have been using it as a plate when I eat dinner. It's not that bad. LOL.
  9. macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2007
    America's Third World
    A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water is an effective cleaner and is safe to use on on any plastic...
  10. macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    It's amazing that people wonder about this, I mean really. Windex has been around for what, 50+ years, or longer, and I've used it my whole life on any variety of surfaces and I've never damaged any of them in any way, shape, or form just because I was using Windex.

This almost borders on paranoia, I swear. :)

A few sheets of bathroom tissue, a quick squeeze of a Windex bottle trigger, a spray on the tissue, a wipe or two, done, as clean as that iPod touch screen is going to get unless you sick a swarm of dirt-eating nanytes on it.

What's the problem?
  11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2008

I think I'm in agreement with you. After researching this for a while, it's seems many people are paranoid that WINDEX will "EAT THROUGH THE PROTECTIVE ANTI-GLARE' screen.... LOL...... It's easy to find hundreds of posts tellin you that you should use the Apple cleaner (IKlear i think), yet you cant find 1 picture of a defected screen due to windex.. Regardless, 1 tiny spray of windex on a protective cloth has the same chance of damaging my screen as any random act of 'human mistakes' (ie. dropping the ipod, running it over with your car (yes i have seen this one before), kids breaking it, water damage,etc...) With that said, thanks for all the replies. If my screen becomes defected because i spray windex on a towel once a week I will be sure to be the first person to post actual pictures of a 'windex damaged ipod'.. LOL.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2007
    The problem is that there isn't just one Windex, there are many versions of Windex formulas i.e. with vinegar, ammonia, etc. My wife always falls for the "new and improved version" of anything so we have like 4 versions of windex at home.

I made the mistake once of using Windex on a car's dashboard and it turned the plastic cloudy. I don't remember which windex it was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the windex "classic". And no I don't have a picture of it, I sold the car awhile back.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2008
    Katy, TX
    picture or it didnt happen
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007
    I used windex to clean my new (in '95) 1995 Ford F-150 dashboard clear plactic. F'd it up very badly. I used windex on alot of TV screens with no problems (when I cleaned them at my old job:) But for my screens I just use the nice 'n clean electronic cleaning wipes. They work on my iPods, touch and otherwise, my hdtv's and my macbook pro. But with the macbook pro, I do have to buff afterward with the cloth to get some sort of film off of it, but not too bad. They are fairly cheap too, 4.99 for 80 of them. I would stay away from windex for anything I actaully care about.
  15. macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2008
    Now we have to get our chemistry sets out and mix a special solution just to clean a 2x3" screen.

I wish Apple would just do us all a favor and make a specially formulated screen cleaner and sell it to us for $79.99.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jul 30, 2008
    I use windex also but only when there is something on the screen that won't come off with the regular buffing cloth.

It has never harmed my screen
  17. macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2007
    On The Interweb Thingy!
    I swear by's top stuff...vinegar and water would be my next choice!