Window Media Player?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mauly, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mauly macrumors 6502

2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

avoid it.

get vlc player as it can handle just about everything.

vlc

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Lol, somewhat yes, but where its MS MP, it has bugs which can cause strange things. I recommend VLC over MS MP.

Here's how I see it. MS MP installed on a Mac, is like standing in the middle of the freeway during rush hour. Its just not perfectly safe.

VLC should suit you just fine.

You can install MS MP, but thats my opinion. I dunno what bad things it'll do to your Mac, so sorry I can't be of much more help.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For what its worth, I've had no problems with it...

Woof, Woof - Dawg

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What exactly are you talking about? Do you think it's a security risk? It can't compromise your security unless you open ports for it to be spoken to, in the firewall.

It doesn't integrate into your system in any way, so I don't see how it would compromise the system or other apps. You can always delete it. Besides failing to play some WMVs and WMAs (the ones made for series 10 on PCs), I have never had a problem with WMP9 on Panther or Tiger.

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

My experience has been that VLC and MPlayer don't play the very newest WM video codecs, so I have WMP on my Mac just in case.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I keep the real WMP around just in case. Otherwise I try to use VLC as much as possible.

8. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

agreed.

I also have some problems returning from fullscreen in vlc, but I hear that is fixed in the new beta.

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Hey Eidorian, looks like we are real close.

I'm a student at Taylor, Upland.

Not more than an hour from indy.

10. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

VLC is the perfect "in between app". Sometimes when WMP won't play, VLC will. And sometimes when Quicktime won't play, VLC will. But there are the odd moments when WMP or Quicktime can only play the files.

So, in short, if you have Quicktime, WMP and VLC you're pretty much set.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's my set up too.

I'm at home in Indy for the summer. I go to Purdue University. I didn't know I'd find so many close members.

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Desite what people are saying WMP on OSx is not unsafe it is fine, although it is definatly not the best media player and should only be used when you need it. Download the following Media player--->

-VLC
    -MPlayer
    -Xine Player
    -WMP
    -Quicktime
    - and install DivX codec

ShadoW :D

13. gamestriker macrumors regular

WMP is by far not the best player. Even with its own WMA or WMV files, it skips, jumps, and freezes WITH NO OTHER PROGRAMS OPEN OTHER THAN THE OS. I actually WANT Microsoft to make WMP10 for Mac to fix issues like that (they probably just need to make it Tiger compatible), and add support for newer WMA/WMV files.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have QuickTime and it's the one that I prefer.

Windows Media Player has always worked alright, no problems.

I decided to download CLC on the recommendations above. Hopefully I will no longer have problems viewing videos.

15. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

WMP sucks majorly, if not for any other reasons, just because the interface is crap...