Window seat, or aisle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

All my friends think I'm crazy because I like the aisle seat, but I do enjoy that extra bit of legroom. I know it's not much, but it's definitely better than nothing. I hate being sandwiched, unless it was by 2 hot girls.

Um.........anyway, almost everyone I ask would rather take the window seat. Some are still fascinated when looking outside the airplane and enjoy the view, while others say that if you take the aisle seat, you need to get out of your seat
    if the passenger sitting in the window seat beside you wants to use the toilet, which is a pain. Of course, you'll have to get up again when they come back. If there are 3 seats in a row, you'll have to get up for 2 other people.....

Oh, I've recently had a string of not-so-hot stewardesses as well ever since I started a thread about it. Bad karma or something? :(

2. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Sorry to be so stereotypical, but the window seat :).

I prefer somewhere to lean, put pillows, jumpers, anything. I also really like the view when you fly on a clearish day.. its beautiful.

Getting out wise - in the end its the person sitting next to you that suffers.. they have to move. :) Don't worry about them, and the window seat is ideal. :p

The only other place I quite like sitting is in the row directly behind the emergency exit. Sure, you have to be told how to open it if the plane crashes, but there is practically unlimited legroom. :D

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

From sleeping sideways?

I'm so used to that, from sleeping in various chairs in various places, I get neck pains if I don't ;)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I find it very tedious and boring once you get in the air, unless its a clear day.

Take off/landing are great, really fun, and so is turbulence in mid air.. but if its a cloudy day, and you are stuck on a plane in economy for a few hours, with no turbulence to keep you amused.. :(

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's why you try to get a seat near the wing. ;)
    Also, I've noticed that the last few times I've flown, I had a tight fit in my seat. Granted, one time was B.A.'s cheap seats (still over $1000 for my airfare alone :eek: ) and the other was Southwest. If you've seen any episodes of Airline, you've probably seen the people that have to buy a second ticket due to their size. Well, I'm nowhere near being that large, (I figure they're all over 350, I'm just over 250) yet I still need to squeeze. Maybe I just need to fly in first class, because I'm always short on legroom too. :(

9. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I prefer window seat.

I don't think you would get any extra leg/arm room from aisle. If you stick any of your body part out it is more than likely that somebody would hit/trip on you anyway.

The view doesn't really make much of a difference in a long flight. But for me, having a place to stuck your pillow in makes all the difference.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Window seat.

Views... place to lean against for sleeping. Less cabin noise on one side at least... and NO RISK of getting your elbows bumped by the passing ddrinks cart!!!!! :p

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

You people are crazy. Aisle seat all the way. Legroom and easy access to the john. The only advantage of the window seat is that you don't have to move when someone else goes to the john.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Window. The drink trolly always hits your elbow if you're in the aisle.

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Aisle seat makes my ride way more interesting. You get to "meet" everybody who comes along the way + a little more space. But if I'm tired, I enjoy the window seat. Then I just can lean against the window and doze away.

14. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

It's 3.30 am on a longhaul flight, you have the window seat.

You've had a good flight so far and the views have been absolutly stunning, and as you sit there looking at the last shed of the sunset, your two row companions are in a deep sleep.

Then your stomach turns, you need the toilet right now.

For the day, put me by a window seat
    For a short flight, window seat

for a longhual, aisle.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Window seat next to the trailing edge of the wing

16. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Aisle. I like to be able to get up whenever I want. I need to stretch my legs when flying. I often hang out with the flight attendants in the rear of the plane.

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Ah yes ... some recollections of just such a flight years ago from NY to San Diego have flushed back into my memory. I am glad that I have since brought an end to my flying days.

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I prefer an aisle, because I hate to inconvenience people if I have to get up.

19. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Ah, I forgot. The killer drinks trolley. That hits you when you're sleeping as it passes, and wakes you up. Grr. Grr.

20. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Actually, I heard that sitting near the wing is bad, in the event that anything ever flies into and breaks the turbines, causing the blades to fly out in a ring around the engine, and into the cabin ... according to my engineering professor.

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Unless you're flying a super huge jet with 4 engines (the kind seldom flown anymore, and typically used exclusively for overseas flights), losing a turbine means the plane is going down anyway.

22. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I prefer the window seat because I hate when people inconvience me when they have to get up. :p

23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I knew someone was going to say that. It doesn't bother me unless I'm asleep.

24. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'll draw you the diagram of where is best to sit, and where is not. :p

Just gimme a minute to flex my creative talents. :p I will edit this post to shove it in.

EDIT: I AM TEH W00T!

[​IMG]

I can't believe I just produced that ****. I apologise wholeheartedly. :p

25. jrober macrumors regular

jrober