Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
XIII said:
I find it very tedious and boring once you get in the air, unless its a clear day.

Take off/landing are great, really fun, and so is turbulence in mid air.. but if its a cloudy day, and you are stuck on a plane in economy for a few hours, with no turbulence to keep you amused.. :(

I agree but I have to find something to do i'm going to Japan soon!

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
Brings back memories of flying from Dublin to Toronto when my kids were small. On this particular trip, I was travelling on my own with a 3 1/2 year old, 2 1/2 yo and a 1 1/2 yo and was 4 months on with the next.

We had to leave our home in Kerry at midnight for the 4 hour drive to Dublin to catch a 7:30 am flight. (Had to allow time for possible punctures. Anyone who's driven on non National Routes in Ireland will know why.)

Arriving in the airport I could see people looking at us and thinking, "OMG! Hope they're not on our flight."

The kids all behaved like angels with only a small bit of crying at take-off and landing and didn't bother anyone. Luckily we had bulkhead seats plus a woman in the row behind who loved babies and took over the youngest for most of the time he was awake.

Everything went fine, and a half hour or so before landing I got them all cleaned up, ready to meet their grandparents for the first time. Then, just as the wheels hit the tarmac, the oldest spewed all over us. He was totally mortified as he'd never before been car-sick or sea-sick. By the time we met my parents we all stank to high heaven.

We all got over it though and the return flight was fine.

When I look at my 3 young grandchildren, I honestly feel I must must have been crazy back then. I can't imagine anyone being foolish enough to take all of them on a transatlantic flight on their own.

There is one advantage to flying with kids though if you're terrified of flying. You're so busy you don't have time to spend the whole flight willing the engines to keep going. My first long flight without kids seemed to be 3 times longer than usual.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
aisle and closer proximity to bathroom

i hope it's not a prostate thing

looking out the window gets boring after a certain amount of miles at that altitude and one can't see that much...but 10,000 ft. over a nudist beach would change my seat preference ;)

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Window with hot girl sitting next to me (and not two rows behind me like always).
Anyone who prefers aisle should fly window seat once from Chicago to Anchorage. They'll never get an aisle seat again.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Window - it's just got that little bit of extra privacy, and I don't usually want to get up much.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Within the US or from Latin America to the US: Window
From US to Europe, Asia and Australia/New Zealand: aisle

If I have a tight conection, I choose to sit in an aisle sit near the front, to get off the plane fast. And, of course, I always try to upgrade - any seat in business beats window or aisle :D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
sebisworld said:
Window with hot girl sitting next to me (and not two rows behind me like always).
Anyone who prefers aisle should fly window seat once from Chicago to Anchorage. They'll never get an aisle seat again.
doubletrue.png

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
mrfrosty said:
These are english jokes so they may not translate so well.....

I was checking into a flight the other day and the attendant said "Window, Seat or aisle?", "Or you'll what?" I replied.

I was checking into a flight the other day and the attendant said "Window, Seat or aisle?", "I'll have a seat please" I replied.

Ha Ha

Is that a Jimmy Carr joke? :)

"Window, seat or aisle?"
"Window, seat, or you'll what? Are you threatening me?!"

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
XIII said:
...but if its a cloudy day, and you are stuck on a plane in economy for a few hours, with no turbulence to keep you amused.. :(

urrggg... I hate turbulence, I can just imagine whats happening to my iBooks HD. :(

Window... that way you can take pictures! :)

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Obviously the Apple seat, not that I've ever flown in any large planes. I flewed in a glider and a sightseeing plane. But I have been in many planes and helicopters, just on the ground.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Aisle seat on short hauls and non-final destination flights - I just want to get off the plane as soon as possible. Missing a connecting flight is a hassle.
A layover less than 60 minutes is just asking for trouble. My wednesday flight has 75 min layover CDG Paris. I would guess it is 50% chance that my checked in luggage will make it to the connecting flight...damn you AirFrance.

Window seat on long hauls - I am normally at sleep before the plane is off the ground. I usually wake up when they serve dinner, but five minutes after I am sound asleep again. Window seats lets me sleep undisturbed by all co-passangers with bizarre bladder problems.

Hmmm, I think I fly too much

L

Lau

Window seat. Totally.

I don't pee much :p and I don't think I'll ever tire of looking out of the window. It looks like ants! Look at the wing! The lights! Is that a river? Oooh, look at the clouds! Etc. :D

Having said that, I do tend to fly on less than 3hr flights, hence no need to stretch legs, and often cheapo airlines, on which I'm usually too cheap to buy drinks, so no need for weeage. On my one long flight to New York, I was on an aisle seat, and spent half the time getting up and looking out the door window at the back, and that was nice to be able to walk around as that was 6 hours or so, especially on the way back when I didn't sleep all night and could have a wander and watch the sunrise. :)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Window for short flights (< 3 hours)
Aisle for the long flights (> 3 hours)
Middle for the lucky flights (= 2 hot girls on both sides) :D

I love staring out the window during take-off and landing, and I love the extra room and easy stand-up of the aisle seat.
Always love to be between the hot stuff.... ;)

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Aisle seat most definitely.

I can't sleep on planes, I have long legs for my height (36" inseam and I'm only 6'), and I have bad knees thanks to my days as a hockey goalie and my mom's arthritis genes. So I'll take all the leg room I can get.

I have to disagree with whomever said they prefer the bulkhead though, because you give up the ability to keep any of your belongings in your possession.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
MacsRgr8 said:
Window for short flights (< 3 hours)
Aisle for the long flights (> 3 hours)
Middle for the lucky flights (= 2 hot girls on both sides) :D

I love staring out the window during take-off and landing, and I love the extra room and easy stand-up of the aisle seat.
Always love to be between the hot stuff.... ;)

Hmmm, dont you want to sleep during the long flights? Just curious since you seem to have the opposite strategy to me.

irishguy1976

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2005
dont get jelious

i was upgrade from coach to 1th class how is a " s e c r e t " :eek:

new york to germany
new york to ireland
ireland to germany stay over for 2 week and then to new york

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.