Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Good news and bad news.

First the bad.

It forces updates on you for all software, hardware and features in your system. Your only choices are to let the computer restart automatically 'FAST RING' or install updates later and restart manually 'SLOW RING'.

This means if you have a GT120 in your system alongside a new Maxwell card, Windows 10 will force install a driver for the older card that is incompatible with the new card. Your nice expensive new card will be disabled. You cannot prevent this even if you disable the old card in Device Manager.

So you can't have both cards in your system. To be balanced this is Nvidia's fault for creating an incompatibility in their driver set.

Apple Keyboard Numeric Keypad doesn't fully work in Calculator. You have to hit the key above 7 to activate the pad.

Photos app. You can't use it unless you sign in with an account.

Some Chrome Extensions or any app that searches for OS version may not work.

The cMP doesn't have a mic-in so you can't use Cortana unless you buy a USB mic.

Now the good stuff.

It boots in 9 seconds on SATA2. That's faster than OSX boots on SATA3.

It's smoother faster interface than Windows 8.1.

The Edge Browser that I am posting this from is fast but is lacking in some essential options. I can't change the default search to Google yet.

Boot Camp support already exists with the 8.1 drivers. They are completely compatible.

Native USB 3.1 support from Microsoft if you have a card.

Solitaire is back. Your mom won't be calling you much.

A really good weather and news app.

Quiet. I hear the cMP fan less than before.

The Taskbar. Loving it. Dare I say it is better than the Dock.

App Switcher. Wow. It's just so fast and smooth.

Split View. Silky and easy to activate on a low GT120. It doesn't create a new virtual desktop when you do it so it's quicker to activate and deactivate than El Cap's version.

Games run smoother and drop less frames.

This is the first time Microsoft has created a genuine replacement to OSX. They have taken the best from the last 20 years and removed much of the terrible stuff. This automatic driver updates is my big gripe with it as I now have to remove the GT120 from the system to make my GTX980 work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synchro3

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Works fine with Parallels though. How do you have the updates set?

Defaults while I am still setting up and testing. I'm going to take out the GT120 right now. Then I switch the control and command keys around so the keyboard works like OSX.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I'm using W7 on a Bootcamp HD and I'm pretty reluctant to upgrade to W10 in the near future. I would probably want to set up a separate Windows 7 or 8.1 Bootcamp drive or partition for Windows 10 if I do try the free(?)Windows 10 upgrade.

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Oh right. I’m on an 80MB connection so the odd upgrade doesn’t bother me.

I have finished all security updates. Uninstalled GT120/9500.

Switched command and Ctrl around. That makes so much difference alone :)

Benchmarking or just playing games now. Tomb Raider and Advanced Warfare no improvement. Same scores. I need to find a Direct X 12 test.

Edit:

Unreal 4 Kite Demo much smoother on Windows 10 than 8.1! :) On top of that the computer is much more quiet!

Last edited:

TitouDoc

macrumors member
May 24, 2004
By "uninstalled" you mean, remove the GT120 from the computer, or disabled it in Win10 ?
It's kind of sucks if we can't le the both GT120 and the GTX980 in the MacPro...

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
By "uninstalled" you mean, remove the GT120 from the computer, or disabled it in Win10 ?
It's kind of sucks if we can't le the both GT120 and the GTX980 in the MacPro...
Both. If you only remove the card the computer will boot with no graphics driver active. You still have the clashing Nvidia drivers. The correct procedure is.

1 open device manager
2 disable the GT9500. You will see that the GTX980 is already disabled by the system.
3 the screen will turn to low resolution mode after you disable the GT9500
4 now reinstall the newest Nvidia drivers for Windows 10
5 when the installer asks to restart just close the app
6 go back to device manager and this time uninstall the GT9500 completely by right clicking on it and select uninstall driver
7 shut down, remove the GT120 card
8 now when you boot the GTX980 will load properly and there will be no driver clash because you uninstalled the older GT9500 driver

GT120 can no longer be installed with a new GeForce card. But it might be possible to install the GT120 alongside a Radeon card.

Last edited:

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I need to move my Boot Camp to a Samsung Evo 850. Are there any free Windows apps that reliably mimic SuperDuper or CCC? I see few options but they all seems to come with a catch. Either too complicated or haven't been updated for years.

Edit: Macrium Reflect Free appears to be suitable

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I have time today, going to install it on my PC and have a play.

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Attempt to find a Windows disk cloning utility as good as SuperDuper or CCC is a disaster so far. I tested Acronis and Macrium. Both failed to create volumes on the destination drive. The other apps available are buggy, don't work, fail to clone, fail to copy partitions or are abandonware. Some of them look like they might contain malware or adware. Reviews for them on PcWorld look like spammy advertorials with no real test by the reviewer.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I need to move my Boot Camp to a Samsung Evo 850. Are there any free Windows apps that reliably mimic SuperDuper or CCC? I see few options but they all seems to come with a catch. Either too complicated or haven't been updated for years.

Edit: Macrium Reflect Free appears to be suitable

WinClone has always worked for me ... and it makes a great backup program for your Windows environment. It is not free ... but is one of the best software purchases I have made, and the backup feature makes it a "necessity" program along with CCC.

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone

Note that WinClone safely runs under OS X, so you don't risk your OS X environment to a non-Mac-aware Windows program which can create havoc on your system disk.

Last edited:

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
WinClone has always worked for me ... and it makes a great backup program for your Windows environment. It is not free ... but is one of the best software purchases I have made, and the backup feature makes it a "necessity" program along with CCC.

Note that WinClone safely runs under OS X, so you don't risk your OS X environment to a non-Mac-aware Windows program which can create havoc on your system disk.

This looks like a good option but the site had no demo or free version. Does it do reliable bootable volumes so I can migrate to new disks without any hassle?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
This looks like a good option but the site had no demo or free version. Does it do reliable bootable volumes so I can migrate to new disks without any hassle?
I use it often to move internal BootCamp to external SSD Thunderbolt drives, and to move Windows from smaller drives to larger drives as technology gets cheaper (you can also go from large -> small drive/partition). It has never let me down! I run a WinClone snapshot after any significant update (weekly :rolleyes: it seems) so I can always recover if something goes wrong.

For a new external disk, simply use Disk Utility to initialize it with FAT32, then let WinClone do its thing. WinClone will move your total Windows environment to the new disk, make it NTFS, and create the bootable files necessary.

The critical thing for me is that it all is done under OS X. You read countless tales-of-woe on these forums from people who have used a Windows based utility to manage their disks and ended up with a disaster as the utility mucked up OS X in the process.

Last edited:

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I use it often to move internal BootCamp to external SSD Thunderbolt drives, and to move Windows from smaller drives to larger drives as technology gets cheaper (you can also go from large -> small drive/partition). It has never let me down! I run a WinClone snapshot after any significant update (weekly :rolleyes: it seems) so I can always recover if something goes wrong.

For a new external disk, simply use Disk Utility to initialize it with FAT32, then let WinClone do its thing. WinClone will move your total Windows environment to the new disk, make it NTFS, and create the bootable files necessary.

The critical thing for me is that it all is done under OS X. You read countless tales-of-woe on these forums from people who have used a Windows based utility to manage their disks and ended up with a disaster as the utility mucked up OS X in the process.
That's what I'm looking for. Why can't anyone develop this properly on Windows? I will see if Twocanoes support Windows 10 yet just in case there are issues.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

I am a BIG fan of Winclone too! After every major update/-grade I shrink the system file to a minimum and make a clone. It will then be auto backed up to a NAS and an offline backup service. Restored several times to a SSD with the above discribed procedure. I have a paid copy of it, as for Carbon Cloner Copy, a great value for money. HIGHLY recommended!

"Computing with confidence!" :cool:

Cheers

Last edited:

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Good news and bad news.

First the bad.

Windows 10 boots slower.

It forces updates on you for all software, hardware and features in your system. Your only choices are to let the computer restart automatically 'FAST RING' or install updates later and restart manually 'SLOW RING'.

This means if you have a GT120 in your system alongside a new Maxwell card, Windows 10 will force install a driver for the older card that is incompatible with the new card. Your nice expensive new card will be disabled. You cannot prevent this even if you disable the old card in Device Manager.

So you can't have both cards in your system. To be balanced this is Nvidia's fault for creating an incompatibility in their driver set.

Apple Keyboard Numeric Keypad doesn't fully work in Calculator.

Photos app. You can't use it unless you sign in with an account.

Netflix, some Chrome Extensions or any app that searches for OS version may not work. There is a dedicated Netflix app in the Windows Store though.

Now the good stuff.

It's smoother faster interface than Windows 8.1.

The Edge Browser that I am posting this from is really good but is lacking in some essential options. I can't change the default search to Google yet.

Boot Camp support already exists with the 8.1 drivers. They are completely compatible.

Native USB 3.1 support from Microsoft if you have a card.

Solitaire is back. Your mom won't be calling you much.

A really good weather app.

Quiet. I hear the cMP fan less than before.

The Taskbar. Loving it. Dare I say it is better than the Dock.

App Switcher. Wow. It's just so fast and smooth.

Split View. Silky and easy to activate on a low GT120.

This is the first time Microsoft has created a genuine replacement to OSX. They have taken the best from the last 20 years and removed much of the terrible stuff. This automatic driver updates is my big gripe with it as I now have to remove the GT120 from the system to make my GTX980 work.

That is why I bagged Windows on both my 2012 Mac Pro and 2012 mini and bought a real Windows computer. The Z230 I got for an i7 mini price appears to be just as well constructed as the MP (although not as cool looking), has a an i7 quad Geekbench score that is way about my MP's individual core and almost up to the MP's 3.46 six-core score. It is easier to configure and comes with a three-year warranty.

For the nMP entry price a heck of a six-core Z440 can be had. I used Windows 10 on my MBP until a couple builds ago and it is very nice. Using Windows I don't even have to think about screwy Apple, the politically correct, colored emojis, hate for Confederate heritage and wrist jewelry all the while sucking up to and promoting filthy-mouthed ghetto rappers.

Reactions: alvindarkness

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Using Windows I don't even have to think about screwy Apple, the politically correct, colored emojis, hate for Confederate heritage and wrist jewelry all the while sucking up to and promoting filthy-mouthed ghetto rappers.

What the heck has that argument to do with Technology? Please, never mind to elaborate to my question, I don't want to even know....

Nevertheless a peace-out Cheers to you! :cool:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I'd really like to get Win10 working on EFI on my Mac Pro 5,1. So I need to remove all drives except the Windows drive, and use EFI Boot option? Someone also said it works with VMWare Fusion if you set EFI to 1.

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I'd really like to get Win10 working on EFI on my Mac Pro 5,1. So I need to remove all drives except the Windows drive, and use EFI Boot option? Someone also said it works with VMWare Fusion if you set EFI to 1.

I don't understand what the benefits are. Some say EFI gives faster drives. Some say it enables AHCI. But I benched SSDs on OSX against default Boot Camp. Windows was faster than the Mac at write and read speeds. And I looked in the Registry Editor and AHCI was enabled by default anyway.

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Observations

When you first install 10 JavaScript is disabled by default. That's means Netflix in Edge and Office 365 sign-in don't work properly. So you have to enable JavaScript in Internet Explorer because Edge doesn't have very advanced settings. Why aren't all those setting in Edge?

There is also legacy stuff like this in the new Settings app. You go into that to set system prefs but when advanced options are not available it runs legacy setting applets from 8.1. And some of those legacy applets date way back to Control Panel in Windows XP days. Why can't they design a new system preferences app that includes everything?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Oh man I'm so glad I happened upon this thread. I've been looking for something like this forever and it's always been unsatisfactory, very similar to the crap that SoyCapitan found.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.