Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemikam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Anybody else having this problem? My Boot Camped 2012 i7 iMac Windows 8.1 partition won't/can't grab the Windows 10 update. I've tried the command line "/updatenow" thing, but I keep getting error messages in my update history. And the link to get help with the error code leads to an essentially blank page. And the Windows 10 Update app still says "verifying Windows 10 for your PC."

It looks like the update went smoothly for a lot of other Boot Camp users, but was this a common experience? Have people sorted this already?

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm still waiting to update my desktop PC and I received a similar message. If I click the Windows 10 icon in the system tray, it says that my PC is being verified and that I will receive a notification when the update is ready to install.

Curiously enough, I verified that the update was fully downloaded (~6GB) by viewing hidden folders. I understand staggering the rollout so the servers don't get overwhelmed, but if the files have already been downloaded, then why won't it allow me to update?

Argh, why advertise the update as being available on July 29 when it is not available on July 29? Microsoft logic...

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Forget the update system. It's for people who don't know how to do things manually. Download the upgrade manually from the links in the Windows 10 upgrade discussion.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Forget the update system. It's for people who don't know how to do things manually. Download the upgrade manually from the links in the Windows 10 upgrade discussion.

Yeah, but isn't that an ISO requiring a product key after installation? I figured I'd give Microsoft until 9pm today before I do it myself. I'm just a bit apprehensive because I'm dual booting and I don't want to accidentally screw anything up by being impatient.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Yeah, but isn't that an ISO requiring a product key after installation? I figured I'd give Microsoft until 9pm today before I do it myself. I'm just a bit apprehensive because I'm dual booting and I don't want to accidentally screw anything up by being impatient.

If you are already activated there's nothing to type at all. Just install and use Windows.

lemikam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
So this is really obnoxious, but I think the download temp files got corrupted - sounds like for all of us.

There IS a way to fix this without ISOs or any of that crap, but it does involve an elevated command prompt and some fancy mouse-keyboard footwork.

1 - Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all of the contents.
2 - Open an elevated command prompt (run the command prompt as an administrator)
3 - In the prompt, run "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" (it will look like nothing happened, but it did)
4 - At the prompt, enter the same wuauclt.exe /updatenow command, but DO NOT HIT ENTER
5 - Run windows update
6 - Hit check for updates
7 - QUICKLY, while the status bar still says checking for updates, go back to the command prompt and execute the command you typed in a second ago
8 - Windows 10 should immediately start downloading in Windows Update
9 - Once the download is complete, return to the Windows 10 app and it should prompt you to start the installation process

Good grief, this really is how the other half lives. Thank god I have a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.