Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How was your upgrade?

• Total voters

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I just used the media tool method (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and selected the upgrade option and just followed the steps, it took a while to complete but went flawlessly. I guess the only thing one needs to worry about is whether to select 32 or 64 bit. My windows 7 was 64 so I just selected the same.

Which language, I chose English. Wonder if I should've picked English - International

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
you probably can do that.

if you have w7 home, you should grab the w10 home ISO

do it inside of OSX so that you get the single download instead of having to download the download tool. take the w10 file and just move it to a USB, load w7, and mount the ISO in your USB.

ill repeat it again: do not use the download tool, it seems to be a big failure point. use OSX to download the iso.

Last edited:

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
Tried that, it's me an error when select either win 10 home or win 10 pro. Think it expects to be run at boot, not inside windows...if that makes sense.

i just tried it again, it works

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

W10 (not KN or N or SL unless you live in htose regions) --> english --> 64bit (or 32 if that's what you got)

once it finishes downloading, copy the file onto a USB. reboot into windows, mount the ISO (you might have to download a 3rd party program to mount it)

if you reach that page in windows, it will prompt you to download the download tool first. dont do that.

yxkwvem1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2015
Has anyone gotten bootcamp drivers to work for a non-pro macbook? Specifically a late 2009 macbook or similar mac that works fine with windows 8 but is not supported by windows 8.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Boot from the CD/ISO is the next best option.

Finally got it working! I had to disconnect the power from my graphics card and finish the initial setup on integrated only. After I let it do it's thing and ran any and all updates on the desktop, I shutdown, reconnected my graphics card, booted up and viola, good to go so far. I ran into a couple display issues a couple of times, but nothing a reboot didn't fix.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Finally got it working via the Microsoft tool. Had some problems with the Nvidia driver being disabled and refusing to reinstall but running Ccleaner eventually fixed that.

It seems to be just a reskinned Windows 8. I'm not seeing any of this amazing speed boost people have mentioned (it was pretty fast to begin with, though). Oh well, at least I won't have to go through that again.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Anyone know what the heck is going on with Windows 10 product keys?

I'm trying to fresh install from the ISO in a new VM. Have already successfully upgraded a Win7 VM. But of course you don't get a new Win10 product key.
I've tried extracting the key using a script which gave me 2 keys. Neither work in a new Win10 installation. I have also tried my Win7 key which also doesn't work.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

I'm trying to fresh install from the ISO in a new VM. Have already successfully upgraded a Win7 VM. But of course you don't get a new Win10 product key.
I've tried extracting the key using a script which gave me 2 keys. Neither work in a new Win10 installation. I have also tried my Win7 key which also doesn't work.

I would also like to know.

My Windows 10 upgrade install is fully activated but I was thinking about doubling my bootcamp partition and to do that I'd have to do a proper clean install but I don't want to have to install Windows 7 first then upgrade again, and for that I need a key.

Saudumm

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
I would also love to know this.

My Windows 10 upgrade install is fully activated but I was thinking about doubling my bootcamp partition and to do that I'd have to do a proper clean install but I don't want to have to install Windows 7 first then upgrade again, and for that I need a key.
Just skip the product key prompts during setup. Once Windows 10 is (clean) installed on a previously activated (Windows 10) machine, it should activate automatically.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Just skip the product key prompts during setup. Once Windows 10 is installed on a previously activated machine, it should activate automatically.
It can't be that easy, can it?

If that's the case, that would be awesome. Any official info to conform this?

mayhemburzum

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
Sorry to read this, but it seems you're alone on this one. Don't be a drama queen. There are bugs, but nothing like the way you say it.

My experience is the opposite:

My computer (3 years old, self assembled): Runs better than 8 and much better than 7
My girlfriends computer, 3 months old, Asus Laptop: Runs better than 8, starts up slower, faster overall after in desktop.

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
Very Interesting...I have re-installed W10 Pro again on my 1 yr old Dell XPS 8700...Running slowly but not so many errors this time.
Sorry to put this in a Mac Forum...
OS X still wins IMHO

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Has anyone gotten bootcamp drivers to work for a non-pro macbook? Specifically a late 2009 macbook or similar mac that works fine with windows 8 but is not supported by windows 8.
Did you download the full BootCamp package from Apple (It'll be a zipped file labeled something like BootCamp5 for example and inside you have a setup.exe file). If so, when you run the setup.exe are you getting a "your machine is unsupported" error?

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011

Actually their is a new Windows 10 key created. Forbes online shows you how to install and how to find new key. It also shows you a free app that shows you the new key. Here is the link to the article. The app is called Produkey.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl...ion-guide-essential-advice-to-avoid-problems/

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Just put it on my 2014 rMBP, it only has one issue for me, and I'm sure I'll figure it out once I have a chance.

For some reason, tap to click doesn't work, and primary click takes two fingers, and secondary click takes one.

sickntired

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012

I have a 2010 Macbook with win 7 right now and would like to know if Win 10 works on these machines too. Has anyone tried it?

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Can't get the Window 10 upgrade app. Diagnostic tool says the app is not available for my windows version (Windows 7 Ultimate) and in the next step it says Windows is not up to date. Do I really need to install all optional updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.