Windows 2000 & Windows NT 4 Source Code Leaks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by d-fi, Feb 12, 2004.

1. d-fi macrumors member

Jan 12, 2004
    Calgary, Canada
    Wow this should cause some chaos on the internet for the next few days. Its interesting that microsoft has not said anything yet.

here is the news link. But server is getting hammered at the moment so i'll post a copy here as well.

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    I hope someone takes the source code and ports it to other platforms. Maybe someone can look at it and create a program that will let me run Windows programs on my Mac, in the same kind of way WINE works on Linux.
  3. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
  4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Sure, getting Windows to run natively on the Mac would be a piece of cake. Problem is, you'd have to get the source code to every PC program you'd want to run, and recompile it for PowerPC. People don't understand why Windows programs won't run on the Mac, and vice versa. It has nothing to do with Windows, it's because the code needs to be compiled for the particular processor architecture. The reason WINE works on Linux is that you're still running on an x86 processor. The program is still being executed the same way it would under Windows. WINE is just providing the framework Windows would normally provide for an app.

I think this is great news. I just love how this is such a big deal. I was reading Slashdot, and someone made a comment like, "Oh, I hear Linux code is leaked like every other day!" That's beautiful, because it illustrates the differences between Microsoft and the open source community. How does Microsoft keep it's code hidden, and have massive security flaws, while everyone under the sun has access to Linux code, and it's much more secure?

[edit]: I had more to say :p
  5. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    hehe as a Windows user, i don't know what to AHhH!!!?

patches are no effectively useless as virus writers are probably one step ahead of M$
  6. parenthesis macrumors member

Mar 22, 2003
    Here and there
    Full Article

7. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    A couple of things that this will do:
    - Any unknown API's that exist in Windows we will learn about, albeit illegally, but we will certainly see how much Microsoft have been covering up in such areas as their media player and internet explorer.
    - Any more faults, back doors or whatever could be in Windows will probably be found and exploited at a rapid rate by virus developers. Not good news for your Windows loving users.
    - Things like NTFS and Windows networking will now be learned and reverse engineered more easily (hopefully someone does it carefully so there are no legal ramifications).
    - We will see how shoddy Microsoft code really is. :)

Have fun Microsoft, this is a case of "Ow, I shot myself in the foot pretty bad".
  8. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hehe, well, someone is already porting WINE to OS X - The WINE part is done and they are now adding an x86 emulator (QEMU)...

anyways, couldn't an examination of the code allow someone to build an open-source version of Windows?
  9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    If it's legit and somebody can figure out what chunk of the source code this is, there may be some major security holes opening up very soon. And the scary thing is, unlike the hole that the Blaster worm took advantage of, which was patched my MS a month before the first exploits appeared, and the current hole that MS patched, there's not going to be any warning beforehand.

Think about that--if the chunk of code included the network stack or similar stuff, and there's some pervasive vulnerability (two have already been fixed, so there are probably more) that a hacker notices before MS, essentially every exposed Windows computer on the internet could be compromised within a matter of hours, and there's nothing short of pulling the network plug that will stop the spread. No chance to patch, no hoping users won't open those e-mails, just a vicious, unstoppable virus spreading like wildfire and utterly choking the Internet.

Look at how bad the problems have been already, and that's with closed source and MS *theoretically* doing everything it can to patch holes before black hats find them. Further proof that security through obscurity isn't security at all.

Same as any low-diversity ecosystem in the natural world--when everything is the same, all it takes is one nasty disease or change in the climate to cause mass damage.
  10. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Interesting that they don't seem too concerned about how their millions of users might be affected by worsened security. I guess they're trying to make sure that no one finds out about how their code is illegal. ;)
  11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Well, after people go throught the frikken million billion pages of code I'm sure people will find the best exploit ever.

For NT and Above right?

Hell yeah.

Hell yea.

I love giving the source out...

Now, for XP!

12. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    Most interesting...

According to this article from the BBC one concern is that:

"[F]or Microsoft to have this code paraded in public is hugely embarrassing. Not least because the code is littered with profanity and might show that many Microsoft programmers do not do a very good job." [my emphasis]

Is this really the case? Do programmers commonly load up their programs with foul commentary?

If so, I'd love to know who the butt of these comments is!
  13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    All I have to say is, they're getting a peice of thier own medicine.
  14. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    This is just funny...hopefully the source code ends up in the hands of the brightest people out there....and they can just cripple the hell out of M$
  15. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    it's certainly possible that profanity could be included in the comment codes, or maybe even in some live code that is not executed. Wasn't there a whole flight simulator hidden in the code of a version of Office?
  16. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2003
    Re: Most interesting...

YEAH!!! What's the profanity??? I wanna see their code - I bet it's FULL of crap.... This would be really funny also...
  17. Engagebot macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2003
    LSU - Baton Rouge
    if anybody has found a copy, please tell me where to get it. i'm looking for it right now.

i dont see why there wouldnt be profanity in the comments. we have no idea how stringent MS is on the format of all their code's documentation. my guess is its probably not as stringent as my coding classes...
  18. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    Reports seem to say that it was being made available on file sharing networks (kazaa) and over IRC -- most likely because passing along this information is at best in the grey area of copyright/trade secret law, if not actually a violation (i.e., making an unauthorized copy of protected material).

Consequently, I wouldn't wait around for anyone to just e-mail you a file.

Whether your making a copy over a file sharing network implicates you, the sharer, both or neither is a question that I don't think has been finally answered, but I don't think that Microsoft can be expected to take a softer stance than the RIAA has.

If you really want to see this stuff, you're going to have to go it alone.

I was surprised because I can't really imagine the use of this -- the only people that are supposed to see it is co-workers. Why include it? Also, the article used the term "littered", indicating a high concentration.

It's not that I don't see why there wouldn't be profanity; rather that I don't really see why there would. I'm just curious to know if this is something that programmers commonly do -- either as a inside joke or as a snide swipe.

[edit: grammar!]
  19. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    If the code is heavily commented (which I'd expect it to be), and MS doesn't have an extremely strict policy for how the commenting is done (which I'd be surprised if they don't, but then they may not), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least a bit of profanity in there.

For example, let's say I'm working on some ancient chunk of code from Windows NT 3, trying to integrate it with the modern system. I find the process frustrating (maybe it was poorly written or documented to start with), so I make some notes in the code pointing out what I'm doing to make it work. I end up saying "This section remaps some freakin' ugly data structures to match up with the modern handler." or whatever. I know I've made comments like this, occasionally humorous ones, in code from time to time.

Considering how much frustrating crust Windows no doubt has buried in it, and what an unplesant place MS probably is to work, I can't say I'd be all that surprised if the programmers resorted to profanity more often than average.

"Littered" does seem a bit surprising, though.
  20. Engagebot macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2003
    LSU - Baton Rouge
    file sharing networks. yeah i knew that, but i was wondering where anybody found a *good* copy. i've downloaded 8 versions from Poisoned (gnutella + fasttrack) and nothing i've found on the filesharing networks is any good. i'm not waiting for somebody to email me a copy.

I am a software developer, and i do know a thing or two. thanks.
  21. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    I totally agree -- a bit is expected in association with aggravating work; littered seems excessive.

Sorry to carry coal to Newcastle. I can't imagine how interested coders must be to see this stuff -- I don't code at all and I'm itching to see it!

Best of luck finding a real copy -- and if I happen to come across a copy, I'll be certain to comply with all applicable laws with your e-mail address in mind. ;)