Windows 7 on a macbook pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by twdi, Feb 21, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I'm have plans to buy a retina MBP next week.
    For hobby that's fine, but professionally I need to run Visual Studio 2010 on it for software developement.

So I'm thinking of running a windows 7 VM with Vmware on it. But... would it be a problem to miss the specific windows keys like the function keys etc?

2. macrumors 6502

The Function keys on your keyboard behave just like F1 through F12 in Windows. The Command (or "Apple") key behaves like the Windows key.

Is that what you were asking?

3. thread starter macrumors member

O thanks... I thought the mac keyboard did not had F-keys..
    I'm still unknown to the Mac............

Thanks

4. macrumors 6502

Happy to help. =) Anything else on your mind?

5. macrumors 601

...and you're going to buy one next week? Definitely read up online and check them out in person first. A quick Google search yields:
    [​IMG]

F keys are on the top row.

6. macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

In OS X the default is for the function keys to perform device specific tasks like volume, brightness, etc. you have to press the Fn key to access them as function keys. In windows they work fine as function keys.

Only problem I have is switching from cmd-c to ctrl-c for copy, paste, etc.

7. macrumors newbie

to pause a game is Fn+Esc. To content fill aware in Photoshop is Fn+Shift+F5, to open the brushes palette is Fn+F5... What else... To make the @ is right alt+2. Those shortcuts are the ones I found so far in Bootcamp.