Windows 8 and MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Oct 29, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

Hello, I will get my MacBook Pro Retina Display in a day. I will install VMWare Fusion 5.0. I will use Windows via Bootcamp and depending on the speed, also via Fusion. Which version (Windows 7 or 8 64-bit) do you recommend? Is the current hardware and bootcamp drivers fully compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8 64-bit? Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

The Boot Camp drivers are not supported under Windows 8 as of yet. It's anyones guess when they will be.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

I personally prefer Windows 7, and it will work fine in Fusion or Boot Camp.

Windows 8 is clearly optimized for for touch devices and tablets. I find it frustrating and gets in the way of productivity on machines without touch.

Not to mention it has ads in the default Metro apps, which is not cool for an OS that is designed for Enterprise.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

So, Windows 7 64-bit works fine with Retina Display? Do the letters look clear or fuzzy?

4. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

I don't have a retina model myself, but it should scale and show the fonts in a larger size. It should be very clear.

OS X treats the retina as a lower resolution, and will display everything in an equivalent size of their non-retina counterparts. Windows will see it as full resolution, however you can turn on DPI scaling to make the fonts larger.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

In installed W7 on my rMBP. It looks very nice! I do need to increase the font size to 200% for better reading though.

6. macrumors regular

With 150% scaling it looks very good and clear at full resolution. Unsupported software with custom UI will look a little bit blur but still way better than non-retina apps on OS X.